Need miter gauge with narrow head
(04-07-2021, 01:59 PM)Roly Wrote: The slot in my old Craftsman band saw is 0.730, as compared to 0.750 on my table saw.   Roly

A penny is .750" in diameter (or is supposed to be.  Most measure .749)
If a penny will drop down in the slot, the 3/4" it is.  If the penny doesn't go down flat then Roly has it. 
I mention this in case precision measuring devices aren't quickly available.
A penny is a handy little gauge block to have in your pocket, particularly when checking thickness of purported 3/4" stock.
(04-06-2021, 09:57 AM)OneStaple Wrote: Thanks, that's helpful to know. That should technically fit for 90 degree cuts, but likely won't have room for other angles like a 45.

Tyler

???

If you rotate the head away from 90*, it will move the end _further_ away from the blade (once you get past the small-angle rotation).

On the slot size, if it is smaller than 0.75", then you might check to see if a Shopsmith bar would fit. They stayed with the smaller width bar when most of the industry went to the 0.75".

Several of the miter gauge manufacturers make a SS version.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
iclark Wrote:
OneStaple Wrote:Thanks, that's helpful to know. That should technically fit for 90 degree cuts, but likely won't have room for other angles like a 45.

Tyler
???

If you rotate the head away from 90*, it will move the end _further_ away from the blade (once you get past the small-angle rotation).

Well, that's going to depend on the miter gauge shape and your direction of rotation.

For the Incra (the only aftermarket one I have on hand), the steel head is mostly circular, so it never gets closer to/further from the blade as it rotates. The aluminum fence gets further from the blade if you rotate the gauge counter clockwise and closer to the blade if you go clockwise (max of about 13/16" closer at 30 degrees of rotation when the fence was reasonably close to the blade to begin with).

The Kreg miter gauge head is square/rectangular, with a pivot point roughly in the center. To me, that suggests that the (steel?) head gets closer to the blade no matter which way you rotate from a 90 degree crosscut. On most saws, this is a non-issue since the blade is further away, but if the head is 1/16" from the blade for a 90 degree cut, it could be a real problem. I imagine the fence attached to the head would operate similarly to the Incra described above.

If someone wants to, take some measurements with the Kreg and tell me if I'm right or wrong. I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

Tyler
What I have heard - I don't have a C'man saw to measure if that the slots are .750" wide. The problem is that a .750" bar won't slide in a .750" slot, the slot needs to be slightly larger. My Grizzly 1023 miter slots are about .765" and common miter gauges slide fine. The slots could be a little narrower, like .760" or perhaps .755". I'm pretty sure .750" wouldn't work though.