Any interest in a build thread?
I have started a built-in entertainment center, and while it's already in progress I'm not that far along. I feel like it's a somewhat unique project so I thought it might make sense to help do a build-along.

The summary is that I have a very ordinary wall in the basement (little used) where an older TV and an older entertainment center sit. We essentially never use it, while the kids occasionally do. My plan was to get a bigger TV (my eyes are declining more rapidly than I would like) as I watch while on the treadmill during the winter, rainy days, and so on and include a fireplace. To this end I am replacing a minimally sized unit (built for the exact equipment I had for a townhouse in a room about a third the size of the room it is in now) with a bigger unit.

The plan is to do an approximately 80x40 wall unit that will house an electric fireplace along with a center channel speaker and all of my equipment. This means there's a lot of grommets to allow for wires to go from one compartment to another (and outside, since it's a built-in) along with an installed fan system to exhaust heat. Having had an electric fireplace before, I am not sure that it generates much heat on the inside, but the A/V equipment certainly does. Thus I wanted to ensure that there would be adequate airflow from the outside of the cabinet to the inside and then out the top. 

So if there's interest I'll do a build-along. It's just an entertainment center, but...

1) It will have a mounted dual fan exhaust system on top of the system to keep the inside cool.
2) It will be custom-sized for both an electric fireplace and a center channel speaker.
3) It will have an IR repeater to allow for the existing equipment to sit behind closed cabinet doors (also related to #1 above).
4) The plain wall above the unit will be a wood-trimmed faux stone "chimney" (Genstone panels) to mimic our real stone fireplace above.

Thoughts?
Some rhetorical questions deserve and answer: yes.

And, all of those electronic add-ons are of interest, too, including how you integrate them into the build.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(04-06-2021, 08:15 PM)FS7 Wrote: I have started a built-in entertainment center, and while it's already in progress I'm not that far along. I feel like it's a somewhat unique project so I thought it might make sense to help do a build-along.

The summary is that I have a very ordinary wall in the basement (little used) where an older TV and an older entertainment center sit. We essentially never use it, while the kids occasionally do. My plan was to get a bigger TV (my eyes are declining more rapidly than I would like) as I watch while on the treadmill during the winter, rainy days, and so on and include a fireplace. To this end I am replacing a minimally sized unit (built for the exact equipment I had for a townhouse in a room about a third the size of the room it is in now) with a bigger unit.

The plan is to do an approximately 80x40 wall unit that will house an electric fireplace along with a center channel speaker and all of my equipment. This means there's a lot of grommets to allow for wires to go from one compartment to another (and outside, since it's a built-in) along with an installed fan system to exhaust heat. Having had an electric fireplace before, I am not sure that it generates much heat on the inside, but the A/V equipment certainly does. Thus I wanted to ensure that there would be adequate airflow from the outside of the cabinet to the inside and then out the top. 

So if there's interest I'll do a build-along. It's just an entertainment center, but...

1) It will have a mounted dual fan exhaust system on top of the system to keep the inside cool.
2) It will be custom-sized for both an electric fireplace and a center channel speaker.
3) It will have an IR repeater to allow for the existing equipment to sit behind closed cabinet doors (also related to #1 above).
4) The plain wall above the unit will be a wood-trimmed faux stone "chimney" (Genstone panels) to mimic our real stone fireplace above.

Thoughts?

Definately,would love to see it.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Yes, please post your progress. Personally, I always enjoy seeing the build along posts, no matter what is being built.

I'm working on an entertainment center as well, and I'm glad you mentioned the IR repeater... our components will be behind a door as well so I will need one of those. Helpful tip of the day!
Big Grin
A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."
(04-06-2021, 08:15 PM)FS7 Wrote: Thoughts?

Yes. Do it!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Some folks will certainly be interested. Post it for them.

The rest can keep scrolling and don't matter. 
Wink
Laugh
Sounds like a great project 
Yes
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
Once in a while a dumb question will come up on this here forum.  Holy Cow!  You've been part of this amazing group since 2009 and contributed more than 1300 times.  You already know the answer!!!  So the real question...are you just teezing us?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I did start the build thread separately. Unfortunately this also means I can't hide the speed (or lack thereof) with which I work.