Bearing Experts: Need Advice: SUCCESS!
(04-18-2021, 08:29 AM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Awesome work.  Love old Delta machinery.

So do I, but unfortunately, much of my old Delta machinery was bought new.  By me.  
No

My 1460 lathe does pre-date me, as it was built in December of 1944, and worked in a Singer war plant where my grandfather worked.  It followed him home after the war, and so far, 4 generations have used it, and I’m hoping to teach my grand daughter to do a little turning when she’s a couple of years older.  Same age as me when I started.

And since this is a topic about bearings on Delta equipment, that lathe needs yet another set of bearings.  Extended inner race “felt seal” type.  Same bearing on both ends, though later versions had a double-row bearing inboard and the same as original single-row outboard.  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(04-18-2021, 11:05 AM)TDKPE Wrote: So do I, but unfortunately, much of my old Delta machinery was bought new.  By me.  
No

My 1460 lathe does pre-date me, as it was built in December of 1944, and worked in a Singer war plant where my grandfather worked.  It followed him home after the war, and so far, 4 generations have used it, and I’m hoping to teach my grand daughter to do a little turning when she’s a couple of years older.  Same age as me when I started.

And since this is a topic about bearings on Delta equipment, that lathe needs yet another set of bearings.  Extended inner race “felt seal” type.  Same bearing on both ends, though later versions had a double-row bearing inboard and the same as original single-row outboard.  
Cool

First ...congrats to having a smooth turning motor. Thought I might add a couple cents worth on bearings. As for pulling them with a 2 or 3 jaw pulling attached to the outer race the force is applied to the bearing balls and then thru the balls to the inner race usually denting one of those very hard races rending the bearing useless, that's why it is good to apply pulling pressure to the inner only. 
As for a difference between a 6203 and a 203 there is none. The 6xxxx used by some manufactures (like SKF) refer to it being a Conrad style bearing whereas MRC and some do not include the "6" on the Conrad style bearing...Whew, guess that's about three cents worth but kind of fun to know...