India Ink?
I went to Lowes yesterday.  It appears that they are phasing out Polyshades (oil-based), with just some spotty inventory and not black glossy finish (just satin).  Any time they add dulling agents to the clear it will make the black seem more like gray.  I will check Home Depot next.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-07-2021, 04:39 PM)fptahoe Wrote:  She wants it to be black, but for the wood grain to show, so painting is not an option.  

I have been flaming wood when I have a need to go ash or black and the grain to show.
With a hand torch burn to charcoal and wire bush to the shade wanted.  Lightly sand and finish 
I have done several tables and currently a flamed and varnished oak writing desktop.
Finishes very nicely.
(05-16-2021, 02:34 PM)Tankwood Wrote: I have been flaming wood when I have a need to go ash or black and the grain to show.
With a hand torch burn to charcoal and wire bush to the shade wanted.  Lightly sand and finish 
I have done several tables and currently a flamed and varnished oak writing desktop.
Finishes very nicely.

Please post some photos.  That sounds interesting.  Thanks.

John
(05-18-2021, 09:10 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Please post some photos.  That sounds interesting.  Thanks.

John
Unable to post photos for now, 
I will keep lurking around , and try again one day.
(05-19-2021, 08:07 AM)Tankwood Wrote: Unable to post photos for now, 
I will keep lurking around , and try again one day.

Some say no photos - didn't happen.  
John
(05-19-2021, 01:01 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Some say no photos - didn't happen.  
John
Now this is unfinished and lightly burnt. I prefer my toast the same but I digress 
Be sure to test  to get the finish to your liking
and remember a clear varnish finish will darken the charcoal even more so.
But done right its pretty nice.. 
Its not rocket science but a slide rule will help.
Smile

(05-23-2021, 03:29 PM)Tankwood Wrote: Now this is unfinished and lightly burnt. I prefer my toast the same but I digress 
Be sure to test  to get the finish to your liking
and remember a clear varnish finish will darken the charcoal even more so.
But done right its pretty nice.. 
Its not rocket science but a slide rule will help.
Smile

Thanks. Interesting.  It would be great to see finished photos when it's done.  

John
An interesting spec on a $120,000.00 + Mercedes S-Class:  https://www.mbrvc.com/inventory/new-2021...5ma017226/#

This Mercedes-Benz S-Class delivers a Twin Turbo Gas/Electric V-8 4.0 L/243 engine powering this Automatic transmission. WHEELS: 20" AMG MULTISPOKE -inc: Tires: 255/40R20 Front & 285/35R20 Rear, SLATE HIGH-GLOSS POPLAR WOOD TRIM, HEATED STEERING WHEEL.

Poplar?  Really?  At least it is gloss black.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.