India Ink?
I am going to build a writing desk for my daughter.  She wants it to be black, but for the wood grain to show, so painting is not an option.  From doing some searches on possibilities, it seems like ash stained/colored with India Ink, probably two coats, may be the way to go.  I reviewed some videos with India Ink vs. black stain or dye and India Ink is the deep black color we are looking for.  Has anyone used this combination and can comment one way or the other?  Also, topcoat with Arm-R-Seal, or can I consider an oil or an oil/wax?  As always, any advice is very much appreciated.  Thx...FPT
India ink works great on ash.  Krylon spray paint works great, too, believe it or not, and the grain shows just fine but it doesn't penetrate as deeply as India ink so it's more easily damaged.  For topcoat over India ink I've always used a waterborne varnish but there's no reason I can think of that Arm-R-Seal wouldn't work.  

John
Michael's hobby store near me only sells an imitation India ink.  Light-fastness is not specified.  Real India ink is UV resistant.  You can still get it from Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Speedball-404696-...WNrPXRydWU=

It is just $15.00 for a 16-ounce bottle.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-08-2021, 10:18 AM)Cooler Wrote: Michael's hobby store near me only sells an imitation India ink.  Light-fastness is not specified.  Real India ink is UV resistant.  You can still get it from Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Speedball-404696-...WNrPXRydWU=

It is just $15.00 for a 16-ounce bottle.

That's the stuff I use.  

John
I do wonder why the hobby shop is showing only imitation India ink?  Does it have a high VOC?
Attached HERE is an article on ebonizing ash using Behlen dye and Old Masters Spanish Oak stain since both do a different task in dying the grain and non-grain portions of the ash.
Here's an article on it.

Ebonizing ash
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
Wink 
I am going to test india ink  vs India ink + Ebony polyshades to see what the difference in appearance will be.  My suspicion is that adding the polyshades will add depth to the finish. 

I could not find anything on the subject, so it is time to experiment.
Thanks so much for all of the information - very much appreciated.  Thanks also for forwarding the article and video, which was great.  I am going to proceed with the India ink and either a water bourne varnish or AS.  Would definitely be interested in the testing of dye and stain together, though, and I bet others would, too.  Thanks again....FPT
Not sure which link will work but here is what I use.
https://www.docmartins.com/collections/lightfast

Lightfast – Dr. Ph. Martin's | Mfg. Salis Int'l, Inc. (docmartins.com)
Bill