#6 vs #7 (infill) question
(04-14-2021, 11:01 PM)hbmcc Wrote: What!!! ?? That's firewood. Make some smores...

I'm not making smores with this but I am making a lot of dull carbide.

I've heard how awful this stuff is to tooling but working with it is nearly impossible without carbide.  And even then carbide dulls shockingly fast.

Two swipes with a hand plane turns a razor sharp A2 blade into a dull steak knife.  That's actually not an exaggeration. D2 or M2 isn't much better. O1, one swipe. PM V11 will give you three swipes.  Also not an exaggeration.

Tooling lasts longer working brass than Lignum Vitae.
Peter

My "day job"
(04-15-2021, 10:24 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: I'm not making smores with this but I am making a lot of dull carbide.

I've heard how awful this stuff is to tooling but working with it is nearly impossible without carbide.  And even then carbide dulls shockingly fast.

Two swipes with a hand plane turns a razor sharp A2 blade into a dull steak knife.  That's actually not an exaggeration. D2 or M2 isn't much better. O1, one swipe. PM V11 will give you three swipes.  Also not an exaggeration.

Tooling lasts longer working brass than Lignum Vitae.
But Lignum is a wonderful wood for tools....

You may want to try changing the bevel angle a bit steeper Peter...Your diamond hone should work for that...make for a stronger edge..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-15-2021, 10:51 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...........................
But Lignum is a wonderful wood for tools....

You may want to try changing the bevel angle a bit steeper Peter...Your diamond hone should work for that...make for a stronger edge..

True, but I'm not making too many things so I'm hesitant to change the edge geometry of a lot of my tools.
Peter

My "day job"