(WIP) Sphere
"Sphere"

This piece is about 8" D the size of a pro Soccer ball and has been open air constructed from Walnut & White Oak then as you'll see in the photos filled with color resin and some of the voids being filled are being hand carved and will be filled with color resin. After carving and filling the piece will go back on the lathe and turned thinner, then I will attach one of the top sections with the tenon shown in the photos and then a final turn inside and out. The remaining top section will get rare earth magnets to hold it in place and a led light will be placed inside illuminating the color resin cavities. There is still a great deal of work on this project and once again if you have questions please just ask.

Attached Files Image(s)

Another great project, off to a good start.  Sure hope you include us as you progress.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Beautiful so far. Can't wait to see the progress. Please keep us posted.
Thank you guys I'll post as I go forward.
in these photos I'm showing how I cast the center sections but i made a slight change. I'm using modeling clay to hold the resin in place and to plug the cavities while the resin sets. On the center sections I did not section off each cavity, and had some spill over causing there to be two colors mixing in a few places. This time I'm using three colors and wanted better control so each has it's own dam if you will. The reason i chose modeling clay is first off it won't hurt my gouges while turning, second it's easy to shape anyway I need and it's fairly cheep to buy.

I also have carved all the triangles to the the pencil lines and have shown the inside of the project to help you understand how I'm doing this project, but if you have questions please just ask I do not mind answering and will help you in anyway I can with your projects.

Attached Files Image(s)

I pushed through last night and cast another section, on to the third casting in this section, here's a photo of how it looks after removing the clay and the resin I'm using in the background.

Attached Files Image(s)

Okay everyone I was able to get half of  the "SPHERE" casted and gave it a spin on the lathe to clean it all up. There's still a great deal more work yet to do on this piece, but thought I would show where I'm going for those of you that follow me. These photos show the sphere being lit from the inside with a small LED light. This is only rough turned on the inside and sanded to 400 grit on the outside so when completed it will light up even brighter, plus the center section still has clay over parts inside so it will light up better when turned more.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looking good Bruce.

Let me start the bidding at $7.39

There's nothing like having a smart aleck in the crowd.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
That's going to look amazing Bruce! Beautiful work!
(04-15-2021, 04:29 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Looking good Bruce.

Let me start the bidding at $7.39

There's nothing like having a smart aleck in the crowd. 
I love it Bill and I'm use to it as well, The clay cost more than $7.39.
I truly have had people ask to buy some of my pieces and when I told them the price they asked why so high. What they thought I would sell the piece for was not even as much as the chunk of wood cost me.
Thanks for looking and commenting.