LN stuff?
The pandemic is a lesson for every consumer. I know several older fellows who are regretting that they put off traveling or owning something they longed for. The loss of two years may not be a lot to most of us, but it is a big deal for folks over 75 or 80. How many more physically-abled years are left for them?

Do you still want your back-ordered plane that is scheduled to arrive in late 2022 or 2023 when you also turn 77 or 78? Not me. I'd probably be selling my tools at that age!

Buy now and enjoy it........before it's too late.

Simon
(04-11-2021, 08:00 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The pandemic is a lesson for every consumer. I know several older fellows who are regretting that they put off traveling or owning something they longed for. The loss of two years may not be a lot to most of us, but it is a big deal for folks over 75 or 80. How many more physically-abled years are left for them?

Do you still want your back-ordered plane that is scheduled to arrive in late 2022 or 2023 when you also turn 77 or 78? Not me. I'd probably be selling my tools at that age!

Buy now and enjoy it........before it's too late.

Simon
BINGO!!!!!! You got it, Simon!!..Retire as soon as you can...Don't "stick around" to draw a few more retirement bucks...you may roll "snake-eyes" before you get there or soon after!!!! Your life can change in a minute...I had two years of retirement before my wife passed...and that changed everything.....Like my attorney said.."spend it...if you don't, your son-in-law WILL!
Crazy
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-11-2021, 12:32 PM)Rob Lee Wrote: Hi Scott - 

We are having lots of problems....out of just about everything - with capacity running at about 20% lower than normal - with demand through the roof. Lead times are pushing 8-12 months for our products now.

That's before supply chain issues - 

Not a fun time for manufacturing....

We can't even run all the machines we have, let alone increase capacity.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.... but there's still a lot of tunnel.....

Cheers - 

Rob

Thanks for chiming in, Rob. I wish you and your staff good health.
(04-11-2021, 10:15 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..........................
BINGO!!!!!! You got it, Simon!!..Retire as soon as you can...Don't "stick around" to draw a few more retirement bucks...you may roll "snake-eyes" before you get there or soon after!!!! Your life can change in a minute...I had two years of retirement before my wife passed...and that changed everything.....Like my attorney said.."spend it...if you don't, your son-in-law WILL!
Crazy  
Laugh

Jack:  well, I'm still a whippersnapper at 68, was going to retire last year but with remote working, and since I didn't have to do the commute to the office, I thought I'd stick around for another year, and now its a year later..... still working but giving it serious thought and maybe in June or July I'll check out.  But I've still got the Medicare supplemental insurance nightmare to figure out yet as I see more than a few MDs . . . .  It may be this covid thing will be getting better with more people being vaccinated by the summer, so we'll see.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Despite the limitations Rob told us about, LV has just released some new toys such as the side clamping and short blade guides. That speaks for the company's product development and manufacturing capability.

Simon
(04-12-2021, 07:06 AM)Admiral Wrote: Jack:  well, I'm still a whippersnapper at 68, was going to retire last year but with remote working, and since I didn't have to do the commute to the office, I thought I'd stick around for another year, and now its a year later..... still working but giving it serious thought and maybe in June or July I'll check out.  But I've still got the Medicare supplemental insurance nightmare to figure out yet as I see more than a few MDs . . . .  It may be this covid thing will be getting better with more fudge being vaccinated by the summer, so we'll see.
I know it's like letting go of that part of your life, Admiral...but it is time that you can never get back,...I keep after my daughter...she's still working at 65, even tho they are financially secure..she likes what she does as a nurse for the VA....I WILL make one concession...be SURE you have a hobby or something that you can stay busy at to occupy your time...but I have NEVER had a problem like that..I always have something I "could" do and like to do....just don't always feel good enough...everybody gets to that point eventually....Best to do what you LIKE to do before the time comes when you CAN"T.

Besides...work cuts into your Free Time!!!!!
Winkgrin
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-11-2021, 02:46 PM)msweig Wrote: LN also mentioned in the interview how small/specialized the crew of employees is.  He mentioned one employee flattens the backs on chisels, and like one or two do handles for planes (I'm basing the specifics on memory from listening yesterday so the details.might not be perfect). 

So if one of those employees gets COVID, or has close contact and has to stay home for two weeks, that is a stop in production for that group of tools. Which would definitely slow things down.  

Mark

I went to their open house day a couple years ago.  They said they try to rotate their crew regularly to do different tasks to prevent boredom.
(04-12-2021, 07:06 AM)Admiral Wrote: Jack:  well, I'm still a whippersnapper at 68, was going to retire last year but with remote working, and since I didn't have to do the commute to the office, I thought I'd stick around for another year, and now its a year later..... still working but giving it serious thought and maybe in June or July I'll check out.  But I've still got the Medicare supplemental insurance nightmare to figure out yet as I see more than a few MDs . . . .  It may be this covid thing will be getting better with more people being vaccinated by the summer, so we'll see.

Find yourself a good local supplemental insurance expert to meet with about Medicare supplemental insurance. They will take all the mystery out of it and the best choice for you is generally pretty clear once you understand it. If it's available where I live (and it is) it certainly is where you are.

As Jack says, no time like the present - "times a wasting!"

Good luck,

Doug
(04-10-2021, 07:15 PM)Turtlewoods Wrote: Where have all the planes gone? An interview with Thomas Lie-Nielsen – Hand Tool Book Review 

Thank you for that link. I listen to the interview when I finishes the last saw. Very interesting.

Cheers
Pedder
(04-11-2021, 12:32 PM)Rob Lee Wrote: There is light at the end of the tunnel....

Good to read!

Best wishes
Pedder