T&G / Match planes
I think I'm going to want to get a tongue and groove / match plane at some point.  I've tried making T&G by hand using other planes and it is a PITA, and a dedicated tool would probably be a better option. The good news is that I have a few projects to work on that will not require it, so I'm not in a rush. My question is what is a good option?  I know LN makes one (obviously out of stock right now, but I can be patient). I've tried a wooden set once and really liked it, but have no idea who currently makes wooden match planes. I also know used could theoretically be an option, but probably more difficult than other planes to get used as the pair need to work well together (and I'm in Houston so used tools would need to be online, not local where I could try them out). Also, I haven't had the best luck with wooden planes, but match planes strike me as something a bit easier to set than others. 
I know LV makes a conversion kit for the plow plane, but it strikes me as finicky. (If someone has experience with it please let me know if I am correct/wrong). 

Thanks in advance.

Mark

(04-10-2021, 11:23 PM)msweig Wrote: I think I'm going to want to get a tongue and groove / match plane at some point.  I've tried making T&G by hand using other planes and it is a PITA, and a dedicated tool would probably be a better option. The good news is that I have a few projects to work on that will not require it, so I'm not in a rush. My question is what is a good option?  I know LN makes one (obviously out of stock right now, but I can be patient). I've tried a wooden set once and really liked it, but have no idea who currently makes wooden match planes. I also know used could theoretically be an option, but probably more difficult than other planes to get used as the pair need to work well together (and I'm in Houston so used tools would need to be online, not local where I could try them out). Also, I haven't had the best luck with wooden planes, but match planes strike me as something a bit easier to set than others. 
I know LV makes a conversion kit for the plow plane, but it strikes me as finicky. (If someone has experience with it please let me know if I am correct/wrong). 

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Among the nicest and most innovative planes Stanley made were the No. 48 & 49* T&G planes.
One swings the fence 180° to either cover or uncover one of the two blades, allowing it to cut both profiles.

*the two models cover different board widths/thicknesses
I have a No. 48 for large work, and a set of Wooden T & G planes for thinner stock. Both work great, but the wooden sets takes some fiddling to get set to cut right.
I picked up a used LN 48 a while back, and two years ago I bought the LN 49.  Can recommend both highly, a pleasure to use but I think it will be a while before they are available again as they are not "core" nor "Core 2" tools that LN is focusing upon right now.  Vintage might be your only alternative, but the 49 is very hard to find in good condition.

Otherwise, I think you've got the alternatives covered, e.g., the small plow conversion and presumably you've tried the 45.

I've found almost no wooden match planes in the wild worth buying, all are generally in terrible condition, so think a MWTCA type tool meet to find a good set.  For new wood planes, perhaps Matt Bickford might make you a pair, but it would take time.  https://msbickford.com/
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-12-2021, 07:27 AM)Admiral Wrote:  and two years ago I bought the LN 49.  Can recommend both highly, a pleasure to use but I think it will be a while before they are available again as they are not "core" nor "Core 2" tools that LN is focusing upon right now.  Vintage might be your only alternative, but the 49 is very hard to find in good condition.

There are some out in the wild, the one below is mine. 

I didn't think I would ever sell it but while spring cleaning I checked prices on the LN 140 skews that I had and saw that supply side was tight relative to demand on some LN tools.  eBay "completed listings" values of items that actually sold are incredible.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/d/car...58282.html

The oddity of market at the moment also got me to list a bunch of my idle Lee Valley items locally as well.  Capitalism, free markets, and Gordon Gekko I guess. 

Odd times indeed.
Ciao,
For T&G you could consider the Stanley 50 too. I have it and obtained good results. It is not difficult to find one used in good conditions on ebay.
Giuliano
(04-13-2021, 06:49 AM)ac445ab Wrote: Ciao,
For T&G you could consider the Stanley 50 too. I have it and obtained good results. It is not difficult to find one used in good conditions on ebay.
Giuliano
I have the Record version of the 50 plough plane.  There is one problem with using the tongue cutter blade in these metal multipurpose planes (Stanley 45, 50 55 and the clones/copies).  They are supplied with a very small diverter? device that directs the shaving away from the plane in a most slick fashion.  The diverter is almost never there unless the plane is "original in box."  When it is missing, the plane sort of works but not as well as when that small piece is present.

I second the Stanley 48 and 49 planes as being the cats meow for this job.
Since I already have two Stanley No. 45s....easy enough to set one up to cut the groove, and the other to cut the tongue....easy-peasy...
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Yes, true for the shaving deflector. I have and use it.
I love the LN 48 & 49...more than I love my old Stanley 48 (which is, to be fair, beat to hell). I've also used some good vintage wooden match planes, but I don't imagine they're easy to find. So I'd probably check with Red Rose Reproductions (he doesn't have any in stock right now, but he does make them). Metal or wood, you'll have to wait right now...