Delta Milwaukee Rockwell Homecraft Drill Press: Restoration Complete
I picked up this DP in pretty rough shape a few years ago (see photo at bottom), and it sat around on the floor collecting dust since then. Recently, I decided to try my hand at a restoration, and this is the result. Details

Paint: Rustoleum Hammered Verde Green for main color, Rustoleum Hammered black for the motor end bells and the retirement light shade. Used a Rustoleum de-rusting spray to deal with the rust, which was not widespread. I used a degreasing chemical made by Castrol to clean everything prior to paint prep.

Bright Work: all non painted parts were brought back to new condition with a combination of work on the wire wheel and deburring wheel. This includes all nuts/bolts/washer/anything else that was not originally painted. Work table surfaces were a bit of a disaster: learned an awful lot about grinders/flap wheels and the differences between finishing wood vs. finishing cast iron.

Guts: I did change the bearings on the motor. The bearings on the press seemed to be in good shape, so I used liberal amounts of grease/oil to get things spinning like a top. So far, so good. New power cord/plug/belt were added. New nameplate on belt cover, original nameplate on body. Drilled/tapped for 4-40 machine screws to re-attach both.

Retirement Light: picked this up on ebay around the same time. I think it adds a little class to the overall build. I will be outfitting this with an LED bulb.

Work Table: I will probably outfit this with a WW work table: the Veritas table is the front runner at the moment.

Overall experience: an awful lot of time/effort was expended on this. Probably explains why you don't see more of these rehabs. It was a great learning experience, but it will be a very long time before I attempt another one of these projects. Right now, I need to get back to a WW project that has been on hold for way too long (the Writing Desk).

It looks great from here.  I have great appreciation for restored "arn" but I have no desire to start down that long difficult path.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
It looks great.  You have quite the pair there.
Those are a couple of cool DPs.  I've restored a couple old pieces of iron, but they don't look near as sharp as yours.  Well done.
Well done indeed. Looking good!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(04-12-2021, 07:45 AM)MarkSingleton Wrote: Well done indeed. Looking good!

Old ARN RULES...especially when it has been given a new life!!!!!!!!
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
I have that exact drill press! Dear, old, longggg departed dad bought it brand spanking new many, many years ago and took excellent care of it. Still runs like a top!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-14-2021, 02:18 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I have that exact drill press!  Dear, old, longggg departed dad bought it brand spanking new many, many years ago and took excellent care of it.  Still runs like a top!

Its a beautiful piece of machinery for sure!