Adding Color to Lacquer
Adding Color to Lacquer

I heard you can add aniline Dye to Lacquer and get a desire color.
Is that true ?

Thanks
(04-11-2021, 05:09 PM)Jack01 Wrote: Adding Color to Lacquer

I heard you can add aniline Dye to Lacquer and get a desire color.
Is that true ?

Thanks

No such thing as aniline dye these days but, yes, you can add dye to lacquer as long as the solvents are compatible.  This is commonly done to create toners which are used on cheap furniture, but it can also be used on higher end work that has first been dyed and/or stained, to add depth and adjust the color if necessary.  It's a very useful tool to have in your finishing arsenal.  I use Transtint dye in shellac and water based topcoats quite often.  

John
(04-12-2021, 03:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: No such thing as aniline dye these days but, yes, you can add dye to lacquer as long as the solvents are compatible.  This is commonly done to create toners which are used on cheap furniture, but it can also be used on higher end work that has first been dyed and/or stained, to add depth and adjust the color if necessary.  It's a very useful tool to have in your finishing arsenal.  I use Transtint dye in shellac and water based topcoats quite often.  

John

John
Thanks for your help
(04-12-2021, 03:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: No such thing as aniline dye these days but, yes, you can add dye to lacquer as long as the solvents are compatible.  This is commonly done to create toners which are used on cheap furniture, but it can also be used on higher end work that has first been dyed and/or stained, to add depth and adjust the color if necessary.  It's a very useful tool to have in your finishing arsenal.  I use Transtint dye in shellac and water based topcoats quite often.  

John

re: no such thing as aniline dye
The substance "analine" phased out of dyes for safety reasons but as a generic marketing & descriptive term it persists. We will probably be stuck with it as a marketing term for acid dyes for a very long time.

Aniline as a chemical and industrial building block isn't going way. Semiconductor industry uses it. Pharmaceuticals too. Probably a bunch of other things.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin