turning Ipe
Has anyone turned Ipe?  I have an opportunity to buy some 2X4 and 1X6 cut offs.
I found it harder than hades and just as ugly. Didn't care for it. Pen blanks by the way.
Sharp tools.
It’s boring plain BUT excellent if you need a durable spindle for a wet location.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(04-16-2021, 05:35 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Sharp tools.
It’s boring plain BUT excellent if you need a durable spindle for a wet location.

Thanks for the answers.  I bought about 150 board feet for $140.  It's 2X4s that are 2' to 4' long and 1X6s that are 2' to 8' long.  I gave quite a bit to a fellow turner that makes canes and walking sticks.  He was exited because he said it was so strong.  He wanted to pay me, but I refused because I know he has made nearly 200 canes and all have been given away, including the one my wife uses.
(04-16-2021, 08:37 PM)humanrace Wrote: Thanks for the answers.  I bought about 150 board feet for $140.  It's 2X4s that are 2' to 4' long and 1X6s that are 2' to 8' long.  I gave quite a bit to a fellow turner that makes canes and walking sticks.  He was exited because he said it was so strong.  He wanted to pay me, but I refused because I know he has made nearly 200 canes and all have been given away, including the one my wife uses.

They can be used for self defense if he manages to turn them.  Narrow tip and you have one strong spear
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I once made a bokken (wooden samurai sword) for my son out of Ipe and dang! That is one tough wood! It withstood his smacking and bashing and shrugged off damage like a champ.

I found that it's reasonably easy to work with power tools. Not brittle and pretty much refused to chip out. You'll be sharpening your tools quite a bit. Maybe do the bulk of the work with a carbide tool and finish with a well-sharpened gouge? Works well with abrasives too. Not much to look at when finished unless the piece has particularly wild grain or a mottled figure I've seen in some quartersawn faces. It doesn't have much luster compared with other woods. Good luck.
Someone gave me a bunch of 2x6 Ipe cutoffs. Turned a garden trowel for my wifes favorite trowel.
No problem turning. And I did it with dull chisels.
Be aware, some people are alergic to it. Girl I got it from was going to use but she was alergic.
My Nephew runs a dock building company and they use a lot of it. He can't handle it, or he breaks out.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer