PSA - New Veritas Hining Guide Selling Now
(04-19-2021, 07:55 AM)Martin S. Wrote: OK, I must have missed the back story.

What is the purpose of putting the plane outside?

Some sort of destructive testing?

Yeah, what he said.
(04-19-2021, 07:55 AM)Martin S. Wrote: OK, I must have missed the back story.

What is the purpose of putting the plane outside?

Some sort of destructive testing?

Hi Martin - 

I thought it would be interesting to see how it would take nickel resist ductile to be damaged by exposure. The first year or so - the surface corrosion was easily cleaned off (I tested in a small spot), and have retested a few times over the years. Then too - there a lot of thermal stress in cycling +-40C over an extended period of time.

Right now - I'm just waiting for the product to be reintroduced - as the clean-up should make an interesting video, or social media bit.

Cheers - 

Rob
(04-19-2021, 01:23 PM)Cliff Ober Wrote: Hi Rob,

Where's your place at?  We used to have place on Stoney Lake in the Kawathas (for over a hundred years), but sold it back in 2008. For us it was paradise, and we made the trip up there all the way from Houston every year. I saved every bit of work time off through the year to allow us to get as much as possible at the lake. It was worth it, 'cause we'd be there for 3-4 weeks. I spent summers up there with my grand-parents when I was a kid. My wife and I still reminisce about it almost every day; it was a huge part of our lives.  Many folks these days have no clue what cottaging is all about. It's sad that so few can't manage to have the experience.

Hi Cliff - 

We have a place about 70 minutes outside of Ottawa - on a lake outside of Perth Ontario. It's a small 3 bedroom (820 sq ft) - bedrooms are barely large enough for a queen size bed and a dresser - basically 8x10 or so. The balance is open concept - so living space is good. Built on the side of a hill - so the front of the cottage is 6-10 feet off the ground, and about 20' horizontally from the water. 

It's very simple, and quiet.... and always something to fix, or do.

Cheers - 

Rob
Thanks for the explanation.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Wondering if anyone has had success with using these guides with Lie Nielsen bevel chisels? I got my Veritas guide and was disappointed that it doesn't seem to work with the LN chisels, or at least I couldn't get them to work. I honed 4 of my chisels, and all were out of square. Rotating the guide seemed to counter the skew, but now all my chisels are are slightly camber. I think the issue is LN chisels don't seem to fully seat down where they are supposed to. 

Just seeing if others had this issue with LN chisels. 

I would hope that this is just a single rarity and that a replacement would solve the problem. The guide definitely has a better fit & finish than the eclipse one I've been using.
If you want to do chisels, then nothing beats the Veritas MK II small chisel unit, IMNSHO. The regular MK II does pretty much everything including a full range of skew angles. I like the new Veritas side-clamper for plane irons.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(05-17-2021, 01:26 PM)t-dog Wrote: Wondering if anyone has had success with using these guides with Lie Nielsen bevel chisels? I got my Veritas guide and was disappointed that it doesn't seem to work with the LN chisels, or at least I couldn't get them to work. I honed 4 of my chisels, and all were out of square. Rotating the guide seemed to counter the skew, but now all my chisels are are slightly camber. I think the issue is LN chisels don't seem to fully seat down where they are supposed to. 

Just seeing if others had this issue with LN chisels. 

I would hope that this is just a single rarity and that a replacement would solve the problem. The guide definitely has a better fit & finish than the eclipse one I've been using.

I’ve had good success with my 1/4”, 1/2”, and 3/4” LN bench chisels.  The trick that worked for me is to flip the entire setup so that the chisel back faces up, and don’t rest the guide on anything so that its weight helps it maintain good contact with the chisel back.  I tighten the guide just shy of snug, set the chisel against the registration jig to get my desired projection, and then tighten the guide.  I find it also helps to gently push the chisel against the fixed jaw (side closer to the clamping knob) to help keep things square, and gently push on the clamping knob as you tighten it fully to help maintain square as the moving jaw clamps onto the chisel.

I initially used the guide in the orientation shown in the instructions and was getting the same results you are — a slight skew in one direction or the other depending on the rotation of the guide.  In this orientation, I suspect the light weight of the chisel and its front to rear imbalance makes it easier for the chisel to move and not maintain good backside contact with the guide when you tighten the clamping knob.

Hope this works for you.
(05-17-2021, 11:51 PM)EsDubyaKay Wrote: The trick that worked for me is to flip the entire setup so that the chisel back faces up, and don’t rest the guide on anything so that its weight helps it maintain good contact with the chisel back.  

I think that's the issue I'm having. The back of chisel doesn't contact the guide. There is some space there. I've tried what you said and it's always out of square. I've tried & retried putting pressure on different places and always end up with the same result. I don't seem to have luck with this and will need to return it. Shame I really wanted this to work. I liked the fit & finish.
(05-17-2021, 08:47 PM)cputnam Wrote: If you want to do chisels, then nothing beats the Veritas MK II small chisel unit, IMNSHO.  The regular MK II does pretty much everything including a full range of skew angles.  I like the new Veritas side-clamper for plane irons.

Do you mean the Mk II Narrow Blade Honing Guide (link below)?

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...em=05M0910

I think a lot of folks would argue that the Lie-Nielsen honing guide is top notch.  I've not tried it, but reviews are very positive about it.  When I use a honing guide, I use the Veritas Mk II standard honing guide.  Because it can accommodate wider blades, it can be tricky to adjust the clamp so that the pressure on the blade / chisel is even across the width.  Otherwise, you'll be some skew when you hone.  Side clamping guides eliminate this issue, as long as whatever you're sharpening has parallel sides.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-25-2021, 04:51 PM)AHill Wrote: Do you mean the Mk II Narrow Blade Honing Guide (link below)?

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...em=05M0910
No current need for it - so no.
I think a lot of folks would argue that the Lie-Nielsen honing guide is top notch.  I've not tried it, but reviews are very positive about it.  When I use a honing guide, I use the Veritas Mk II standard honing guide.  Because it can accommodate wider blades, it can be tricky to adjust the clamp so that the pressure on the blade / chisel is even across the width.  Otherwise, you'll be some skew when you hone.  Side clamping guides eliminate this issue, as long as whatever you're sharpening has parallel sides.
Note that the side-clamper handles LV's BU blades
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard