Drill press
Looking to buy a new drill press, most likely floor not bench.

Any thoughts on brands that you have used and had good service with?

Thanks
(04-14-2021, 06:20 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Looking to buy a new drill press, most likely floor not bench.

Thanks

NOVA - best thing going these day in the $1000-$1500 price range.
What's your budget?
Most of the drill presses I see look like they were made at the same plant. I have one and it works but it is not high quality. The only one I see that looks impressive is the Powermatic and it is about $1600.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
(04-14-2021, 06:20 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Looking to buy a new drill press, most likely floor not bench.

Thanks

I have been using this Delta happily for a number of years. Delta calls is a woodworkers drill press.

Delta 18 in. Floor Standing Drill Press with Worklight, Laser and 16-Speeds-18-900L - The Home Depot
See ya later,
Bill
(04-19-2021, 04:09 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Thanks, I will look at it.

Mark
From the best I can see that Delta does not have a quill lock. This is troubling to me for several reasons. First, without a lock I assume it doesn't have a split body and the bore the quill rides up and down in is non adjustable for slop. I had a Delta 17-965 and it had terrible slop in the quill bore. And second, it is real handy to be able to run your bit down to desired depth and lock the quill there while you adjust the depth rod.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(04-21-2021, 05:15 AM)KyleD Wrote: From the best I can see that Delta does not have a quill lock. This is troubling to me for several reasons. First, without a lock I assume it doesn't have a split body and the bore the quill rides up and down in is non adjustable for slop. I had a Delta 17-965 and it had terrible slop in the quill bore. And second, it is real handy to be able to run your bit down to desired depth and lock the quill there while you adjust the depth rod.

In my opinion a quill lock (like the one on the Delta 17-965) is an absolute must have feature!  The other thing about a lot of the Delta drill presses is the long quill travel, typically about  4”.
-Don
As an aside, a quill lock can be added on a lot of the later model cast iron presses.

It's a hassle.  After verifying that the casting is thick enough for the purpose, you take
the entire head apart, cut a slit in the front of the quill and then attach two pieces of
metal along each side of the slit. Drilled/tapped and bolted on. Cross holes in the two
pieces allow allow a threaded 'take up' to be added across the opening of the slit.
Tighten up the quill, or lock it, as you please.

Helped a buddy of mine do it on two different presses. Worked well. Eliminated a lot
of slop in the quill on both.  Might have pics around somewhere....?
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Not sure what the used market is like in your area, but around here (Connecticut) you can pick up some old American iron for a song. Its fun (mostly) bringing them back to life. For the budget conscious, its a great option. As far as performance, I'd think the refurbished iron will run rings around the stuff from china (go with Taiwan if you end up going the new route).
You got it, I am looking for used older, even if I have to do a bit of refurbishment
I agree, older can be better