Drill press
(04-22-2021, 07:53 PM)KC7CN Wrote: In my opinion a quill lock (like the one on the Delta 17-965) is an absolute must have feature!  The other thing about a lot of the Delta drill presses is the long quill travel, typically about  4”.

I have a Delta 17-965 drill press I bought new nearly 20 years ago. At the time I looked at Delta, Grizzly and Jet as they were the leading contenders. Decided on the Delta because of the brand at the time as well as the features on this model. I use the quill lock feature quite often as well as the handy depth gauge. I bought a woodworking table for it from Peachtree Woodworking Supply in Norcross, GA and have never been disappointed in it or the DP. I don't do anything exotic with this drill press but thus far it has met all my needs both for metalworking and woodworking projects.

I know the used market for tools is pretty thin out here in Big Sky country, but can recommend this one should a used one be found.

Good luck,

Doug
I have a Jet 17" drill press and love it. I bought it new many years ago. I does everything that I need. I also have a Grizzly benchtop radial arm drill press. I love that one also.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(04-24-2021, 08:31 AM)MT Woodworker Wrote: So many choices.....

Buy old iron if you can find it.
I dumped the 17-965 Delta when i found a 1965 year Powermatic variable sheave drill press manufactured two years after I was born. I have always meant to restore it but instead just keep using it as is. Like me it is a little worn and pitted in places and looks well used. Unlike me its internals are all in good working order.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Patience does pay off, eventually.

After about ten years of looking, I picked up this '68 vintage ( approx. )
Powermatic 1150 for my woodworking DP, about eight years ago:

Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Found this locally

Walker turner drill press - tools - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry