Gasket question
I'm mounting a large Pelican box on a hitch mount for my van. I drilled holes for 4 mounting bolts now I need to seal them up with a washer over some sort of gasket (and sealant) that won't be destroyed when I torque the bolts down. Can anyone tell me what would be best to use?

Thanks, Bill
Possibly some gasket material metal impregnated like a head gasket, the use Permatex #2 so you can remove later if needed
A good hardware store should have rubber sealing washers, one inside, one outside should seal it.

Ed
Rubber washers such as you use to seal the bolts that hold a toilet tank to the bowl. I figure if it will keep the water in the tank from leaking out it should do for a little splash/rain water protection. You cold add some silicone sealant as well if you feel the need.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
I have a StowAway2 Max cargo box on a steel swing-out frame, and they supplied rubber washers for the 4 bolts that hold the box to the frame.  They were big, oval rubber gaskets that go under big, oval steel washers.  Seems to be adequate, but I haven’t taken it on a road trip yet.  

The box does have a big drain hole with plug, so I guess they’re hedging their bets.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(04-16-2021, 04:54 PM)TDKPE Wrote: I have a StowAway2 Max cargo box on a steel swing-out frame, and they supplied rubber washers for the 4 bolts that hold the box to the frame.  They were big, oval rubber gaskets that go under big, oval steel washers.  Seems to be adequate, but I haven’t taken it on a road trip yet.  

The box does have a big drain hole with plug, so I guess they’re hedging their bets.  
Laugh

This is similar but doesn't come with a box. Or not a box I can use.

Swingaway Hitch Frame for Ski Carrier | StowAway (stowaway2.com)

My first try I torqued the rubber washers right out from under the flat washers. I'll give it another shot with a more substantial gasket material and less torque.
The trick to keeping rubber washers intact is don’t twist them. If they are under the head of the bolt, hold the head and turn the nut.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(04-17-2021, 07:26 AM)blackhat Wrote: The trick to keeping rubber washers intact is don’t twist them. If they are under the head of the bolt, hold the head and turn the nut.

This, but in my case, the giant oval washers are what had to stay still.  I used three extensions on my socket wrench to reach all the way to the bottom of the box with one hand while tightening the nut on the underside with another socket wrench.  Easy peesy.  Sort of.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
At one point in my life I knew that!
On a number of occasions I have used garden hose washers for gaskets if the conditions permit...