Wall Switch Question
I posted this in home improvement with 1 response.
I screwed up and ordered a set of 10 wall switches. They're single pole and several have to be in line. Is there anyway I can use the switches?

Jim
Jim
Single-pole switches are usable in any normal circuit (presumably 15A or 20A) provided you don't need three-way or four-way functionality. They don't have to be the end of the circuit.
I saw this in HI, and frankly am not sure what you mean by "in-line".
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-16-2021, 08:26 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I saw this in HI, and frankly am not sure what you mean by "in-line".

Here's my guess : If by "in a line" he means in series, they will all need to be ON to pass current. Any one in the OFF will break the circuit.

If the line is in parallel, then they would all need to be OFF to break the circuit.

One could wire up a room thusly so it is like finding the dead bulb in an old string of Christmas lights every time you walk through.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
OP - need a bit more info on what you mean by "in line". How are you trying to use them?
(04-16-2021, 07:55 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I posted this in home improvement with 1 response.
I screwed up and ordered a set of 10 wall switches. They're single pole and several have to be in line. Is there anyway I can use the switches?

Jim

Look what you posted in HI ,   what are"sge recep. ?"   were you asking about receptacles there ?  Now it makes more sense by by asking about stitches.  If you are talking about having any switch operate the circuit you will need 3way and 4way switches , not single pole.   Try explaining more what you want the switches to do.   If a switch is just operating one light independently from the others no problem with the single pole switch.   If you are talking 2 switches operating the same light from different points then you need 2 ea 3 way switches,  any more in that same string wlll need to be 4 way switches with the two 3 way on each end.   Roly
(04-16-2021, 01:50 PM)Roly Wrote: Look what you posted in HI ,   what are"sge recep. ?"   were you asking about receptacles there ?  Now it makes more sense by by asking about stitches.  If you are talking about having any switch operate the circuit you will need 3way and 4way switches , not single pole.   Try explaining more what you want the switches to do.   If a switch is just operating one light independently from the others no problem with the single pole switch.   If you are talking 2 switches operating the same light from different points then you need 2 ea 3 way switches,  any more in that same string wlll need to be 4 way switches with the two 3 way on each end.   Roly

Sorry everyone. My editing skills are poor. I was asking about wall switches. But I just need 4 (4 way switches) so I just bought them and am using the others elsewhere. 

Will 4 way switches work where only 2 switches work the same light or do I need specifically 3 way switches?

Electricity isn't my strong point but I'm working on it.

Jim
Jim
(04-17-2021, 08:22 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Sorry everyone. My editing skills are poor. I was asking about wall switches. But I just need 4 (4 way switches) so I just bought them and am using the others elsewhere. 

Will 4 way switches work where only 2 switches work the same light or do I need specifically 3 way switches?

Electricity isn't my strong point but I'm working on it.

Jim

You will need two 3 way switches. One at each "end". When you have more than two switches the ones in the "middle" are 4 way.

https://www.electrical101.com/3way-switches.html

https://www.electrical101.com/4way-switches.html
(04-17-2021, 08:36 AM)gjohn Wrote: You will need two 3 way switches. One at each "end". When you have more than two switches the ones in the "middle" are 4 way.

https://www.electrical101.com/3way-switches.html

https://www.electrical101.com/4way-switches.html

exactly.    On the three way switches one terminal is identified, usually darker in color ,that terminal must connect to the circuit on one end and on the other switch the dark terminal connects to the load.    Don't confuse a double pole switch with a 4 way switch, both have 4 terminals.   Any 3 or 4 way switch will not be marked with a on or off position.   Roly
Exactly why I have my electrician do my electric work