Decorating Trends That Date Your Home
(04-16-2021, 12:04 PM)stav Wrote: Edison bulbs and granite counters are my only faux pas.  Not sure what you can have for counters now if tile, wood and granite are all out.

The granite negative makes me scratch my head. We are putting our house on the market in a couple weeks and one "negative" our agent gave us is that we don't have all granite. When we built 16yrs ago granite was still pretty pricey so we did our island as granite and the other countertops with a very high grade laminate, that does not have a mark on it after all this time. 

I guess opinions are like well you know, we all have them.
(04-17-2021, 10:48 AM)msweig Wrote: OMG that house actually had the floor plan.  I don't know about other places but here in Houston you rarely see a floor plan with a listing, pretty much only on new homes, and even then it is somewhat rare. Such a PITA. 

Mark
I only ever see floor plans like that when they build a dozen or more of the same house.  It is probably on a golf course and the price is elevated because of the fairway view. 

After I  moved into my house I found the original blueprints for the house.  But it was never offered in the sales pitch.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Linoleum should be clearly distinguished from vinyl.  Linoleum is a natural product.

Linoleum, commonly shortened to lino, is a floor covering made from materials such as solidified linseed oil, pine resin, ground cork dust, sawdust, and mineral fillers such as calcium carbonate, most commonly on a burlap or canvas backing. Pigments are often added to the materials to create the desired colour finish. Wikipedia

Linoleum has a reputation for having bactericidal properties, and is still often seen in hospitals.  It probably was a decent material for hospitals when it was laid down in large sheets.  But as tiles, not so good as each tile had 48" of bacteria traps.  

Modern linoleum has some interesting colors and patterns. 

After having said that, many people confuse linoleum with vinyl and it is perceived to be a cheap product.  I doubt that there is an advantage in resale value by having linoleum flooring.  I put it on the same page as Formica countertops.  Some people will raise their noses at the sight of linoleum and say, "Well, the flooring will have to be replaced first thing if we buy this place."
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I’m talking real Forbo Marmoleum. It has worn like iron in our van for six years. Hiking boots love to bring in sharp rocks and it doesn’t care.

What's ridiculous is that whatever these "experts" recommend now will be dated next year. Do what you like.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I'm still not sure what the purpose of that article is.  If it's to sell your house, then most of it makes sense.  If it's just so your house will make it to Elle Decor magazine, well that's never going to happen. It's a bit offensive in trying to talk people out of being happy with their house the way it is, and just wasting money on their advertiser's goods. And that's not going to be good enough in a few years.

Funny thing is, they say avocado fridges are out, but apparently it's a very high-cost option, so maybe it's coming back in.  Of course, if you have one, it's probably using about 20 times the energy of a new fridge.