Adding a dormer to add interest to house
The first visual of our house coming in the driveway is a ton of roof on the garage end of the house. This pic is taken from the other side of the house but shows the expanse of roof. 

We're having the roof replaced this spring so that would be the perfect time to add a dormer to spruce up the cosmetics and break up the big chunk of roof. Thinking it would look something like this:

Here's the drawing with my rough sketch:

It will have soffit vents and be open to the roof peak vents. There won't be any opening into the house itself, wondering what issues might arise. I'm not sure what questions to ask--Maybe add some sort of power vent?? Help us with questions to ask our builder.

Thanks,  g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
You'll have to pretty much keep the the same angles or it won't look right. Honestly, it really doesn't look bad. it's interesting and unique.

If I were to make changes to add some character or break it up some, I'd copy the bump out on the left and put one on the far left of the home. .... Or just extend it all the way to the left side of the home.. Maybe do the same thing over the garage.

Nice place... can I fish your pond?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I agree, keep the same angles for aesthetics and not to distract from the rest of the home.
(04-17-2021, 04:47 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Nice place... can I fish your pond?

Neil,
Sure, but our resident great blue heron generally wins all pond fishing derbies
Wink. You'll have better luck if you go around back to the cove, stripers run regularly in the summer.

Neil and MT,

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, we'll keep the same angles, etc. My photoshop skills aren't sharp enough to pull off proper perspective and size relationships. I don't have a pic of the house from the driveway on this computer but from that angle, the garage roof really dominates the house.

Do you see any issue with not having access to the inside of the dormer? The rafters are 2x12's. The storage area below the future dormer is insulated with fiberglass batts which I'd prefer to leave in place. We'd cut the sheathing underneath the dormer so heat could vent out the ridge vent.

Do you see any other issues?

Thanks again,  g

(04-17-2021, 07:17 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Neil and MT,

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, we'll keep the same angles, etc. My photoshop skills aren't sharp enough to pull off proper perspective and size relationships. I don't have a pic of the house from the driveway on this computer but from that angle, the garage roof really dominates the house.

Do you see any issue with not having access to the inside of the dormer? The rafters are 2x12's. The storage area below the future dormer is insulated with fiberglass batts which I'd prefer to leave in place. We'd cut the sheathing underneath the dormer so heat could vent out the ridge vent.

Do you see any other issues?

Thanks again,  g

No. I see it a lot on new builds. The dormers are only decorative. They paint the inside of the windows black so it just looks like a window with the lights off.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Where is this? What's the body of water?

... Kizar Sosay

The existing one looks odd to me, and adding the big one at the garage would make it more so.  Better as is.
(04-18-2021, 05:48 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Where is this? What's the body of water?

It's a cove off of Casco Bay, Maine, we have a straight water shot to the Atlantic. Just realized my location isn't in my profile, will fix that.

Thanks for the black window tip.

g

(04-18-2021, 06:19 AM)KC Wrote: The existing one looks odd to me, and adding the big one at the garage would make it more so.  Better as is.

Thanks KC,

Appreciate your thoughts.

g