Rehandling chisels
I was able to obtain some vintage buck brothers paring chisels, the steel is great but I hate the handles.

To rehandle them, is there a clean way to remove the handles besides breaking them off?
(04-19-2021, 12:34 PM)only 3 injuries Wrote: I was able to obtain some vintage buck brothers paring chisels, the steel is great but I hate the handles.

To rehandle them, is there a clean way to remove the handles besides breaking them off?

I am assuming they are tang chisels. Clamp the blade in a vice horizontally. Wrap something around the blade so the jaws don't mark the blade. Then clamp a vice grips toward or at the back of the handle and strike the vice grips with a hammer. The handle will pop off pretty easily. There is a chance the tang is really rusted in the handle and won't come loose with hammer strikes. Then put the chisel on the bench and use another chisel to split the handle.
(05-18-2021, 07:29 AM)Tandishe01 Wrote: To remove the old handle, clamp the chisel in a vise. At the same time, try to gently clamp the blade. Knock down the handle with a hammer and chisel. If you hold the chisel in your hands, you can be injured.

Usually handles that are sold separately for DELETED already have a hole for the blade. But sometimes this hole does not allow you to drive the blade all the way in. You can use a tapered drill bit to make a sufficient hole. You can use an electric drill, and choose a drill bit for wood. We move little by little. Periodically check the depth by inserting the blade. When the hole is ready, insert the point and check that it is securely fastened. Remember that if the handle is not tight against the blade support, it risks cracking over time.

Spammer