how do you vet contractor for remodel?
Waht do you look for to evaluate a contractor for a home remodeling project?
Specifically, what helps you evaluate whether they will get a job done well?
(I expect most reference/review will be heavily biased towards communication and finishing details)

Thanks,
Matt
I would want real world references , some of the online ones are fake
Some one you can go to, to see their work, etc.
And more than a few
my niece is getting the roof replaced on her house starting tomorrow. i met the conmtractors with her and her husband for the 3 bids. all 3 contractors she picked from FB group pages for the city she lives in and surrounding cities. she didnt have to ask a question on those pages- just searched,"roof" and found many people had already asked. 
many,many replies not only of good quality work but who didnt do a good job and why.
I got recommendations from trusted colleagues who had used the contractor and were satisfied with the work.  Also went to their homes and viewed the finished product myself.  Got the plusses and minuses about the contractor and then made a decision.  Happy with the final results although thought it could have been done faster, but knew that he had lots of other clients to deal with also (one of the minuses).
As for three references. 

One recent.

One from 6 months ago.

One from 2 years ago.

I had a trusted electrician but he retired.  He gave me a referral, and the guy is capable, but I can't seem to trust him. 

I use the plumber that my oil company uses for their service contracts.  They seem OK.

I avoid asking a neighbor who just got work done for referrals.  It's too new and they may have problems further down the road.  That's why  I like to ask for three referrals from different times.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I started my remodel project 3 years ago now and was in the market for new replacement windows. There is a contractor that has been advertising on the radio for many years. Decided to give him a try as well as Anderson and a few others. Looked at the product in their showroom and was happy with what I seen. They were not the cheapest but they did say all the right things. I went with this contractor and old them I was using the window install as a stepping stone for future work. Turns out the contractor is well known and uses subs that have been with them for over 25 years. They did a great job on the windows and were very neat and product is A+. Last year they did my roof, siding, and stone front veneer. Again an A+++ job. This year they will be doing my bath and kitchen. I now have a repoire with them and recommend them to anyone who asks. As I said they are not the cheapest around but you get what you pay for and I am happy. My brother just had windows done by them 2 weeks ago and he too was very happy.
John T.
More often than not, you'll never know till they finish the job.

We had a local mom & pop flooring outfit recommended to us by a real good guy I know who is in construction.

Whoever did the shoe moulding was using a chop saw with a construction blade, and a dull one at that. I made them stop the work and finished it myself.

They also neglected to tell us that vinyl flooring we chose has to have a finish applied.