Poll: Brad nailer or finish nailer, which one is best?
Brad nailer
finish nailer
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Brad nailer or finish nailer, which should I buy?
  Re: Brad nailer or finish nailer, which should I buy? by Jacob_Wood ([align=justify][colo...)
I too have a broad array of nailers/staplers, and the 18Ga is probably your best bet for a FIRST nailer.   I have several Harbor freight units as well as Porter Cable, and Senco products.  Honestly the results using HF units is just as good as the other higher priced tools, and many of mine are pushing 20 years old.    To be sure HF stuff isn't nearly as nice looking as PC or Senco or Dewalt, but they work well.  

As mentioned above, be sure to put 2 to 4 drops of GOOD quality oil into the unit each time you use it.
  Re: Brad nailer or finish nailer, which should I buy? by Jacob_Wood ([align=justify][colo...)
I replaced my 15 gage angle finish nailer with a Milwaukee battery powered unit.  I liked it so much I got a 18 gage pin nailer from them too. 

If you are doing carpentry,  and are painting the trim, then I think the 15 gage is more useful.  You are going to fill the holes anyway, so it does not make much difference.

However the 15 gage can split some smaller profiles and that is an issue.  And if you are staining and clearcoating, the smaller pin nailer will be a better choice.

When I fill the holes they disappear under paint regardless of 15 gage or 18 gage.  The 18 gage pin nailer is lighter and smaller and easier to hold.   But for crown moldings I found that I needed the 15 gage.

I would note that the Milwaukee 15 gage nailer is supposed to feed 2½ nails, but the nails I bought from Home Depot were just a hair too long to feed.  I don't know if it was the nails or the nailer at fault.

My old Porter Cable pneumatic 15 gage angle nailer was notoriously unreliable and I had to have it repaired several times and that was costly.  So when it started spitting out 2 nails for each trigger pull, I said "Good riddance" and got the battery powered version.

Being not tethered to a hose in a small bathroom was a big advantage.  Durability is still an unknown, but it cannot possibly be worse than the P-C unit.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have a Porter Cable pin nailer that's been trouble free... but my 16 and 18ga PC finish nailers didn't perform well (many misfires/jams) and neither lasted long.  I bought a 'three pack' HDX branded nailers (Home Depot), and both the 16 and 18ga have done well with heavy use the past three or four years.  The pin nailer was trash.
  Re: RE: Brad nailer or finish nailer, which should I buy? by Mike in kc (I too have a broad a...)
(04-26-2021, 08:36 AM)Mike in kc Wrote: I too have a broad array of nailers/staplers, and the 18Ga is probably your best bet for a FIRST nailer.   I have several Harbor freight units as well as Porter Cable, and Senco products.  Honestly the results using HF units is just as good as the other higher priced tools, and many of mine are pushing 20 years old.    To be sure HF stuff isn't nearly as nice looking as PC or Senco or Dewalt, but they work well.  

As mentioned above, be sure to put 2 to 4 drops of GOOD quality oil into the unit each time you use it.

This is excellent advice. 

I have more fasteners than I know. I actually have duplicates for each one. All my guns are Omer (high end Italian brand). Harbor Freight is easily the best bang for the buck (although sometimes you run into small issues like their fabric staplers don't like other brand staples). 

What you want is an 2" 18 gauge brad nailer. Get one from HF to save money or a prettier one from Lowes [that will perform similarly]. When you pay many times that price for an Omer you get a really snazzy paint job and it stops firing when it's out of ammo (but they all pretty much do the same thing).
  Re: RE: Brad nailer or finish nailer, which should I buy? by Tapper (I have them all, mos...)
Also remember if you buy a combination nailer / stapler it will leave a dent in the wood the width of a staple, about 1/4".  Much harder to hid in a finish than a under 1/8" square hole.
 I have a Craftsman combo 18 ga brad /stapler.  a Ridgid 18ga brad nailer which has adjustable depth control, a HF 23ga pinner,  a HF finish nailer and a HF framing nailer.  The Ridgid 18 ga brad nailer get used the most in the shop. Roly
I have a brad nailer, finish nailer, pin nailer, narrow gauge stapler, upholstery stapler, even a roofing nailer for construction projects
Use all of them at one time or another...
....the measure of a man is not what he does when others are around, it is what he does when no one is around.....
What size holes do you want to make in your wood? Raised

For fine woodworking or for installing mill work that is stain grade, that's probably a pretty small hole.  I prefer a 23 gauge and use more pins if I feel I need the holding power.

I rarely use my 16 gauge any longer.  But as noted above, if you are filling and painting anyway, there is really no harm in the larger hole.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13

I have an acrege I maintain and also do woodworking.

I have a framing nailer, trim nailer, brad nailer, stapler and a pinner. They all get used and they all do jobs that none of the other could do.
WoodNET... the new safespace