Overhead wire to shed
Code required a disconnect inside the shed, would this serve keeping it to not needing a grounding pole?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-20-Amp-1-Pol...ct/3128737
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
What is feeding this now?  Install a 2 pole 20 amp breaker, convert the first disconnect outside to a junction box and head to the shed with 12/3. One light circuit, one plug circuit and a shared neutral.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

ago)srv52761 Wrote:
Quote:
For a 20 amp, 12-2 is sufficient.
I had been told that with the UF run overhead that a 10 was needed, along with the messenger cable. But, yeah, 10-2.

Quote:
Change one fuse to a 20 amp fuse, 12-2.  Black to fuse, white to neutral buss or to that green conductor. Don't need the bare ground (but don't clip it.. Hate that, it removes future options)

Why don't I need the ground wire? What do I connect the ground wires to in the shed?  
Nothing.   The equipment ground conductor is designed to offer protection from stray current by offering an easy path to ground.  
Your system does not have a grounded electrode to be used as an equipment ground. Until 2008 the NEC allowed you to land a ground wire on the neutral of a subpanel since they are tied together at the main.  But that is problematic as there are many possibilities in its path to increase resistance.  Old  3-wire systems are grandfathered in, but it is no longer allowed.  The NEC allows grounded type receptacles in ungrounded systems if there is something else that protects you from a ground fault, a gfci receptacle.  

Quote:
Immediately to a 20 amp gfci outlet in a big box
Black to line in, white to neutral line side

Again, don't I need something to the ground terminal on the GFCI and other outlets?
No, in fact, if using a gfci in lieu of an egc you are not allowed to connect a ground wire on any downstream device.

Quote:
Take those sticker labels from the package and place on each device.
Uh, what labels?  
The gfci receptacle and all downstream devices must inform users there is no egc.  Inside the package of the new gfci receptacles there will be a sheet of stickers.

Quote:
Does it hurt anything to keep one of the outlets on the pole? Hate to see that power available and not used.  Switch both fuses to 20 amps. 
 Yeah, could do that.

Quote:
Just curious, do the currently installed receptacles have a ground wire?  If so, where does it terminate in the fuse box?  I'll assume it is wirenutted to that green wire.
I have to look at that after they take care of the boxes current residents. Yellow jackets chased me all over the place after I opened the box to snap the photos.

Quote:
Just thinking out loud here....Is it possible the electrician fused both the load and the neutral?
Anything is possible. Again, won't know until I can get near the boxes again.  
Your following answer addressed this.  It is the typical 3-wire 240 volt system from yesteryear.  The green looks to be the neutral and the white is a phase hot.  You may want to put colored tape on those:   white on the green conductor and maybe black or red or blue on that white; both at the pole and in the main panel.

Quote:
Have you checked the main panel that feeds this pole?  Was this a normally fused 240 volt 30 amp circuit, or did the electrician fool us and ran 120 volts to that pole and switched/fused both the load and neutral?
It's a 240v 30 amp breaker at the main panel.
(04-29-2021, 07:31 PM)Scouter Wrote: Code required a disconnect inside the shed, would this serve keeping it to not needing a grounding pole?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-20-Amp-1-Pol...ct/3128737

Hmmmm... I didn't think code required it be inside.  The 2017 code said where the cable entered the building.  Most opted for inside so they could use the panels main breaker as the disconnect.  But outside was fine.  As a matter of fact the 2020 code required the disconnect for residences to be on the outside.
For 20 amps a simple 20 amp snap switch would suffice.

However, you said four feet from the pole.  That is more than within the distance inspectors allowed for a disconnect.  Your picture showed the mechanics of a fused switch.  I would think this would serve as your disconnect.  Label it in red letters.
Your pic
(04-29-2021, 07:49 PM)blackhat Wrote: What is feeding this now?  Install a 2 pole 20 amp breaker, convert the first disconnect outside to a junction box and head to the shed with 12/3. One light circuit, one plug circuit and a shared neutral.

This could be the winner!

Eliminate the fuse boxes altogether and use the triplex to run a mwbc.
The problem with running a mwbc was you couldn’t have simultaneous tripping with fuses.  Eliminate the fused sub panel and convert the whole system to a mwbc with the circuit breakers in the main panel.

He would still have to run it by the AHJ.  He could use gfci in lieu of an equipment ground in the present setup because he was coming off a system without a grounded electrode system in that subpanel, but he does in the main panel.  Generally if you have a ground system you are required to use it.  But this is a tiny peccadillo, it may be approved.