Wooden parallel screw clamps
One difference between the high-quality and low-quality is the wood.

I bought some on sale from one of the woodworking supply sites. The prices were good, but the wood grain is not properly oriented and there are knots in the wood where there should not be. When I grab clamps off the rack where I know that I am going to crank down on something, I grab older clamps (not the ones that I got on that sale).

The clamp rack is tucked away where it is hard to get to at the moment and I do not want to say the wrong site for where I bought those. I know for sure that it was definitely not LN/LV/Dubuque/TFWW.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I have some old usa made ones and some imports from Harbor Freight. They work pretty much the same. I would not want to mail order the imports. It really helps to pick through the stack and look at wood grain, fit and finish, handles, and straightness of the screws.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Yes. I looked at my old jorgensen and the grain is straight and clear. I just order 2 clamps from lee valley.

If these wind up being good - I’ll grab a pair of 10 and 12 as well.

Are there sizes people use more than others / similar to hollows and rounds where 4,6,8 get the lions share of work?
"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."
Dan Shaughnessy, boston globe on the Patriots loss in Superbowl XLII
I"ve had a pair from HF for years. They do everything I need them to do.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
(04-27-2021, 09:32 AM)identity_crisis Wrote: Yes. I looked at my old jorgensen and the grain is straight and clear.  I just order 2 clamps from lee valley.  

If these wind up being good - I’ll grab a pair of 10 and 12 as well.  

Are there sizes people use more than others / similar to hollows and rounds where 4,6,8 get the lions share of work?

The largest size is the least used for me but given its weight and large base, it does come handy when I use it to stand something up say a door. The smallest one is indispensable when you deal with more delicate objects and overclamping is worried. Because of their much lower price, I think all my largest ones (6 or 7 of them) are imported (HF or some online woodworking store -- they're problems-free as far as wood and screws are concerned).

If you want a lot of the medium size, the best deal may be to buy the made in USA JJ blanks from ebay and get the hardware kits and make them yourself.

Simon
I like to old Jorgy's best of all, even better than the new DuBuque. I have not handled the imported Jorgy's, but I did try the imported Jorgy F-style light bar clamps, and they're pretty good!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
The Jorgensen 100 Year Anniversary Commemorative Clamp... 

Hand selected American Walnut and Hard Maple, brass plated steel hardware, made in Chicago, IL, USA.

Cian - adding no value whatsoever
(04-27-2021, 02:29 PM)Cian Wrote: The Jorgensen 100 Year Anniversary Commemorative Clamp... 

Hand selected American Walnut and Hard Maple, brass plated steel hardware, made in Chicago, IL, USA.
Those look really good......too good to be used!!
Laugh
Winkgrin

Simon
Just when I’m all good, I’ll just get what’s available and then BAM , driveby Cian post - Those are beautiful - let me know when you are ready to let those go. Great pic and well played.
"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."
Ordered from lee valley - thanks all. Will definitely order some of the larger ones later

Attached Files Image(s)