Matching a stretcher to a dowel?
I'm thinking about making a bar stool using larger diameter dowels (let's say 1 1/4") for the legs, but I want the stretchers to match the profile of the dowel where they meet.

I don't have a drill press, though, and I didn't think it was a good idea to cut into the dowel to make a flat area.

Any recommendations on how I can do this?

Thanks
Paul
If I was joining the stretcher using M&T, I would try to cope the stretcher to fit the circumference of the leg  with a protruding tenon.
Similar to how legs are cut for attachment to pie crust tables are done (except they use a sliding dovetail).
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
How are you going to attach the stretchers? Typically, stretchers are tapered and a mortise or a tapered hole is drilled into the leg to accept the tapered end of the stretcher. Then the stretcher is glued into the leg. You can use a hand drill to create the mortise.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-25-2021, 12:31 PM)AHill Wrote: How are you going to attach the stretchers?  Typically, stretchers are tapered and a mortise or a tapered hole is drilled into the leg to accept the tapered end of the stretcher.  Then the stretcher is glued into the leg.  You can use a hand drill to create the mortise.

I had a couple ideas in mind.  Use my Domino and permanently glue the stretchers to the legs, or use a couple 3/8" dowels for registration and then secure it with a cross dowel and bolt a la IKEA to have it pack flat when we move again.
Use a piece of the leg dowel, stick coarse sand paper to it and sand a profile in the end of the stretcher. Alternately, rasp a small flat on the leg where the stretcher will seat.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.