Gluing up exterior furniture
I'm gluing up a eucalyptus patio table that I'm building.

It's fashioned after the typical round teak style table with slats in the center.

I'll be using loose tenons in dados to hold the piece together.

My question is, what glue can hold up to the elements and has a long enough open time for this complicated glue up.  Will Titebond 3 really last?
Would titebond 3 and stainless mechanical fasteners do the trick or should I use a polyurethane glue or epoxy?

Thanks,

Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

I use Titebond III and/or polyurethane glue, plus fasteners where needed
Oh, also, very nice looking table.

Mark
(04-25-2021, 08:24 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: I use Titebond III and/or polyurethane glue, plus fasteners where needed
Oh, also, very nice looking table.

Mark

Hey thanks Mark

Titebond 3 is definitely preferable, since polyurethane glue can be so nasty to deal with.....any thoughts
on just using PL construction adhesive?
I like Titebond III and use it 95% of the time inside or outside projects.
Doing another cedar raised bed planter for the wife
Using fasteners yes, but where I needed glue, Titebond III was it
The wood breaks before the joint...
(04-25-2021, 08:38 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: I like Titebond III and use it 95% of the time inside or outside projects.
Doing another cedar raised bed planter for the wife
Using fasteners yes, but where I needed glue, Titebond III was it
The wood breaks before the joint...

Great, good to hear....does it rain much in Montana?
Not a lot but we had 4 inches of snow a week ago
But looking at upper 70’s in a week.
We look out to the Bitterroot Mts from our place
Beautiful
Sounds to me like Dap Weldwood plastic resin glue would be the perfect adhesive. That's what I use on cutting boards.  The Titebond III that I've used has turned to bubble gum over the years.
Poly glue foams out and is an annoyance to deal with but it might be workable as long as the clamping pressure is sufficient to overcome the resistance of such a gooey adhesive.
Beautiful table. No advice on the glue but I would suggest getting a helper to speed up the glue application. That's a lot of parts to get done. Good luck.
Epoxy is your best option for long open time and weather resistance.  Gorilla Glue or Plastic Resin Glue would be good options, too.  TB III would be my least preferred option.  It's strength at high temperature is terrible and a dark colored tabletop will get hot, so if there is any stress in it it's likely to open up. 

John
I do agree on epoxy
Last outdoor project I built I did use Titebond III, but I did secure the joints with dowels