Vinyl plank floor?
Doing a new bathroom with vinyl plank floor. I know I want it under the throne- do I want it under the shower?

Four piece fiberglass shower- 60 x 32 base, three wall pieces.

Part of me thinks the flooring should go under, but it is a floating floor. Or should I put the shower base in, and caulk the flooring?

Other will probably chime in ... But I would use a cement board on the subfloor under the shower pan and behind the walls for the shower surround.  Read the exact installation instructions for your product.  I've seen some of these that get set into a bed of mud on top of the cement board and others that just have a screw flange.

As to your floor, after the shower is in, install the floor to run right up to the pan ... you'll want to scribe that last piece and most likely use a good silicone caulk.  There are some caulks that come in a variety of colors other than white and almond, so you can most likely run a nice thin bead an match it close to the floor/pan color.
(04-28-2021, 12:55 PM)cams2705 Wrote: Other will probably chime in ... But I would use a cement board on the subfloor under the shower pan and behind the walls for the shower surround.  Read the exact installation instructions for your product.  I've seen some of these that get set into a bed of mud on top of the cement board and others that just have a screw flange.

As to your floor, after the shower is in, install the floor to run right up to the pan ... you'll want to scribe that last piece and most likely use a good silicone caulk.  There are some caulks that come in a variety of colors other than white and almond, so you can most likely run a nice thin bead an match it close to the floor/pan color.

Plus 1 on using cement boards in the wet areas.
And agree scribe the piece to the shower pan to get a great fit, I use cardboard a lot for templates
I don't put Wonderboard under a fiberglass shower base. I do use mortar (on top of felt paper) to stiffen the shower floor; closed cell spray foam will also work. Water problems with shower bases are usually between the curb and the floor, especially at the ends. I make that joint totally waterproof with a tile shower and floor,but with a pre-made base we have to count on caulking. Don't fit the flooring tight to the base. There has to be enough of an opening to allow a bead of sufficient size to expand and contract while remaining bonded to both surfaces. Also, not to put a damper on your design choices, from my experience the floating vinyl planks are water resistant, not water proof.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
LIL.

I wouldn't put the vinyl under the shower.  Install the shower with appropriate materials and then bring the vinyl up to it.  Get that meeting seam as close as you can and caulk it.
Video 
When I replace my shower I intend to use a cast iron porcelain coated shower pan.  I currently have a solid terrazzo pan and it is pretty good.  But the porcelain over cast iron is guaranteed waterproof and is good for as long as the porcelain lasts.  The finish will get dull looking in 20 - 30 years.  But the pan will be good for 50 to 70 years regardless. 

Porcelain pans are popular in Australia, New Zealand, and Europe.  Not so much in the USA.  But it is far less prone to leaking than tile or any composit shower pan.  The installed cost is probably equal to tile--less labor, but the pan is more expensive.  

Porcelain on steel is cheaper. 

Most contractors will not offer porcelain on cast iron.  It is heavy and they don't make as much money on it.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
He's using a kit that already has a floor.

I think MstrCarpenter has the best answer except I would install a standard vinyl shower pan and mud over that. Wrap up walls 6". Use the recommended glue.

Cement board is backing for tile. What you want is a support under the floor, which is what mortar does. Same principal as a fiberglass bathtub.
+1 on a mud/mortar base under a shower floor. Will make it much more solid underfoot and most likely quieter.
(04-29-2021, 10:17 AM)joe1086 Wrote: +1 on a mud/mortar base under a shower floor. Will make it much more solid underfoot and most likely quieter.

The first shower pan on our shower was "professionally" installed without mortar base.  Unfortunately, there was a slight dip in the subfloor under it so the middle of the pan wasn't supported.  It flexed with each use and in about 5 years it cracked and started to leak.  It was a lot of fun removing a few courses of tile and cement board and replacing the base.  This time I installed it myself according to instructions that called for a mortar bed.
I am using a 4 piece fiberglass shower. The base comes up about 18 inches and the three wall sections fit into the base. I am not concerned about leaks. The base has built in supports, go I see no need for a motor base, but will make sure before I do the install
I will install the unit, then do the vinyl floor. Thanks for the input