Alternative to vinyl shutters
I want some nicer looking shutters for my house. I like the look of real wood but I don’t want the maintenance hassle. I don’t really like the look of cheap vinyl shutters. Does anyone know if they make shutters out of some kind of composite that looks good?
Maybe get some composite and build your own?
Then they will be exactly as you want plus a fun project .
I remember watching This Old House way back in the day and they did a tour of this place. Beech River Mill: Custom Shutters & Louvered Doors - Center Ossipee, NH  Very cool place.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I have wood shutters on my house.  They look stupid to me because even if they were made to close, they would not be functional as they would not cover the entire window.  This house has similar stupid shutters.  They are on the ends of doubled up windows and will only cover half on one window on each side.  Stupid. 

Whatever you decide, don't put in stupid shutters.

[Image: 7f1d92e4c5cd1778cab9eea2900e7fd6.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Remember if you use ones with "slats" that they should be pointed up when open to be authentic.

Of course I did mine down like most other people. Nobody has ever told me I put them on wrong.
(04-29-2021, 08:03 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Remember if you use ones with "slats" that they should be pointed up when open to be authentic.  

Of course I did mine down like most other people.  Nobody has ever told me I put them on wrong.

Why should they be pointed up?
(04-30-2021, 08:36 PM)Randy C Wrote: Why should they be pointed up?

So they shed water during a storm when they would be closed to protect the glass. If you were wealthy enough to afford large pieces of glass, getting it to it's final destination was still tough. Think wagons on dirt roads. Part of the reasoning for 6 or 9 lites over 1 was salvaging the broken panes. The single pane on the bottom gave the best view while sitting in your favorite rocker.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Shutters are put up to accent the area and break up the color of the siding. Do not overthink it. As mentioned if you want something different then make them yourself to your standards or hire it out for custom look. $$$$$
John T.
LarsonShutter.com sells heavy aluminum shutters
(04-30-2021, 09:31 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: So they shed water during a storm when they would be closed to protect the glass. If you were wealthy enough to afford large pieces of glass, getting it to it's final destination was still tough. Think wagons on dirt roads. Part of the reasoning for 6 or 9 lites over 1 was salvaging the broken panes. The single pane on the bottom gave the best view while sitting in your favorite rocker.

Where does it shed the water when they are just decorative ?,  between the shutter and the house where you don't want it.   Roly