Dining Room Tabletop
I get logs from a couple of local arborists.  To pay them I sometimes make something for them at no charge.  I made this dining room tabletop from red oak I milled last Summer from logs one of them gave me, together with a piece of Sapele I had left over from another project.

[Image: ACtC-3cnYDSX_4AvQhdtIS4fSl0VtVXCgC9xCfX6...authuser=0]  

It's 42 x 95 x 1-1/2" and weighs around 160 lbs, so heavy that I was afraid we'd never be able to carry it up out of my basement shop.  So after I milled the boards and cut the biscuit slots to align the pieces we carried the individual boards up, took them to his house, and glued them up there.  The joints were nearly perfect and it required only a couple of hours with my ROS to get it ready to finish.  He finished it with Minwax Oil Modified WB Poly using a foam brush.  

[Image: ACtC-3ehVSwlCDNa085fo4mO-o5F3P_VkNcUf3ti...authuser=0]

John
Gorgeous work, never would have thought that combination of species would look so good together. Great gesture on your part John,

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Ok, what's going on?  If shoottmx could see the pictures, why cant I?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(04-28-2021, 01:23 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Ok, what's going on?  If shoottmx could see the pictures, why cant I?

Sorry Bill, I forgot to make the file public.  Don't know how anyone saw them; strange.  Anyway, everyone should be able to now.  Thanks.  

John
Beautiful work. I love the sapele mixed with the oak.
(04-28-2021, 04:25 PM)stav Wrote: Beautiful work. I love the sapele mixed with the oak.

+1. Looks beautiful
Nice looking table. I prefer no bread board ends. The sapele looks good with the oak. Balances out with the narrow strip of sapele. Finish came out nice also. Are the legs cast iron or steel?
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(04-28-2021, 05:22 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: Nice looking table. I prefer no bread board ends. The sapele looks good with the oak. Balances out with the narrow strip of sapele. Finish came out nice also. Are the legs cast iron or steel?

Thanks.  The narrow Sapele strip was the result of necessity as much as design.  The wide Sapele board had a crack in it, so I ripped it along the crack.  The 3 oak boards plus the wider piece of Sapele now didn't add up to 42" so I added the narrow piece of Sapele to get there.  But you're right, I think it looks better with that narrow strip than w/o it.  Sometimes you get lucky.  

I've never used the MinWax Oil Modified WB poly but had heard good things about it, so that's what I recommended he use.  He said it went on easily and the results sure look great, not one brush or lap mark to be seen.  It looks sprayed.  It's on my to try list and on my list of finishes to test for durability.  I'm hoping it'll be on par with EnduroVar.  

The legs are pressed steel.  Oh, here's a photo showing them.  Like I said, nothing special. 

[Image: ACtC-3cnYDSX_4AvQhdtIS4fSl0VtVXCgC9xCfX6...authuser=0]

John
To do justice to such a beautiful and labored tabletop, the owner should get his floor (at lease the part within view from the table) touched up or covered up.

Simon
Lovely.

Pics make the top look VERY flat. Nicely done.