Favorite paring chisels
Hello all,

I have two paring chisels that I love but they were made by a friend.

IIRC they are 1/4" and 1/2"

I wanted to add to my sizes of paring chisels.  Veritas doesn't seem to be making PM V11 paring chisles yet so I'm wondering what your favorites are.

I was looking at the Sorby or Blue Spruce.

I love Blue Spruce chisels but I wanted to see if you had any other recommendations.
Peter

My "day job"
(04-28-2021, 01:29 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello all,

I have two paring chisels that I love but they were made by a friend.

IIRC they are 1/4" and 1/2"

I wanted to add to my sizes of paring chisels.  Veritas doesn't seem to be making PM V11 paring chisles yet so I'm wondering what your favorites are.

I was looking at the Sorby or Blue Spruce.

I love Blue Spruce chisels but I wanted to see if you had any other recommendations.
For me, Blue Spruce by far.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I'll second the vote for Blue Spruce.
Blue Spruce are very nice, indeed. I would also recommend looking at some Japanese paring chisels. I have Nishiki, which I believe Tools for Working Wood sells. I really like the long handles on the Nishiki's. I would also recommend getting a wide paring chisel, like 1.5" or more. You'd be surprised how much you will use a wide chisel. I use an Ashley Iles 2" butt chisel for that purpose. Inexpensive and I can whack on it if necessary.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I like the Japanese long handled paring chisels also.  I have several brands and they have been excellent.  -Howard
Are your paring chisels extra long in blade length or are they attached to the handle at an angle so that they can have the underside of the blade flat on the surface with the handle not getting in the way? I've been pondering buying a Japanese paring chisel which looks like a miniature-sized slick with a long handle.
This is a side view of my Kiyohisa slicks ...

[Image: aaf531ed-3c39-486b-a197-51b0c6c3af78-zpsc9d6y6zp.jpg]

[Image: 3.jpg]

The Blue Spruce are great for fine, detail type work.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Huge fan of the Blue Spruce.  The 1.5 pairing chisel is probably my favorite tool in my tool box.  I use it nearly every time I am in the shop.  Be aware you will probably have to wait a bit for the chisels to ship.

I like them so much that I now have 7 sizes...
Have, and USE 2 full sets of "Aldi"s"  chisels.....they are the go-to paring chisels in my shop.....
Cool

YMMV...it is what it is....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I don't think I've ever handled a true paring chisel since I have three complete sets of excellent chisels and have little trouble finding one that will do what I want. I can see some advantage to that side view Derek showed us, but do I really want more chisels?

Of course I do. 
Raised
Crazy
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure