Replacing A Toilet
(04-30-2021, 11:19 AM)fixtureman Wrote: I used the ones that came with the toilet wax ring with plastic horn Never had a wax seal fail if installed correctly

This Old House.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJQ7-KNQKmo

At 3:30 on this video they show that doughnut.  I watched this just prior to installing my toilet.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
We just replaced a 10-year-old toilet that always needed to be plunged. The first problem was that the room had 10-inch rough-in but they had bought a 12-inch toilet. To make up for the difference, they installed an offset flange. Second problem was that the offset flange had the plastic cup. The third problem was the water didn’t swirl around the bowl, so it didn’t clean well.

We bought a 10-inch American Standard (round seat, ADA height). It has the high-tech ceramic that does not attract and keep ‘dirt’. Fast flush! All problems solved. The plunge is now hidden away. I’ve always used a standard wax ring and never had a problem.
(04-30-2021, 08:08 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: There was a period where toilet manufacturers were switching to the mandated lower water consumption designs and a lot of them just didn't work.

They also contribute to clogs further down the line, because so little water is used.

I like the models that allow you to use a larger amount of water by holding the handle down, or pressing a separate button.  The extra water not only helps clear the bowl, but also keeps the lateral clear.

how much extra water do they allow you to use?  I have an odd setup.  About 130' down a minor slope I have a barrel and sewer pump buried, like the one below.  When I had replaced the pump, I had a chance to talk to an engineer and he said the biggest issue is water to waste ratio.  I've been thinking about converting a space to a half bath and don't really want one of the low water volume toilets.

[Image: LIB372XL-LE51A.jpg]
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
I have 2 cadet 3's and a new Kohler.
The cadet3 performs perfectly, but I like the Kohler better for the longer bowl- much more comfy and it has a two type flush for #1 or #2 which saves a lot of water. No problems with the flush either.

Not sure if they have the cadet3 with an elongated bowl.
"how much extra water do they allow you to use?"

Well Kohler used to have a model (don't know if they still do) where you could hold the handle down and empty the considerable tank.

Apparently some newer models have smaller tank capacities.
thanks. I'll look into it. I'd love to get one of the old toilets like I have now, the higher volume.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
(05-01-2021, 04:51 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: "how much extra water do they allow you to use?"

Well Kohler used to have a model (don't know if they still do) where you could hold the handle down and empty the considerable tank.

Apparently some newer models have smaller tank capacities.

The flush handle is pretty neat. Just a light push and you do .8 gallon, hold it down and it does the typical 1.6 gallon.

However, the short flush usually provides enough for both purposes. I just like more water going down the pipes when using TP.
Nows a good time to paint back behind there if you have not done so already.
(05-17-2021, 02:04 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Nows a good time to paint back behind there if you have not done so already.

I deliberately did not paint behind it.

Kohler tanks are very good, too. The Kohler flush mechanism is totally different and far better than a flap type. Says is will flush 9 golf balls and I believe it!!

I recommend getting the higher one if you're over 50 yrs old.