VPN needed to access WN?

The other day I got this error below while trying to access WN.  It hasn't been an issue for the past 6 month while here or when I've been overseas before.  I can access WN if I turn on my VPN.

Is this the way it's going to be or is this temporary?

403 ERROR
The request could not be satisfied.

The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: L-urAr0etGxRvUSl9-nvNFGruX2oh68P5v7MOWeLVBY6ieZWwBnuuQ==
  Re: VPN needed to access WN? by atgcpaul (The other day I got ...)
I had wired issues the other day too. Kept getting too many redirects error. 

So maybe it was a bigger issue than you being in another country
(04-29-2021, 09:06 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: The other day I got this error below while trying to access WN.  It hasn't been an issue for the past 6 month while here or when I've been overseas before.  I can access WN if I turn on my VPN.

Is this the way it's going to be or is this temporary?

403 ERROR
The request could not be satisfied.

The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: L-urAr0etGxRvUSl9-nvNFGruX2oh68P5v7MOWeLVBY6ieZWwBnuuQ==

Hopefully, it will be temporary, but it may be a while.

The slowdown of accessing WN was due to what was effectively a denial of service attack created by several major internet providers (bad actors) using 300-400 IP addresses to simultaneously scrape the contents of the WN database. Moving the site to AWS increased the bandwidth available for access, but the attacks continued. Those attacks have been followed by a large increase in spammers.

The attacks coming from Europe for recently joined by one coming from China.

Blocking the IP addresses for the attackers and the spammers surfaced some previously unidentified issues with the IP blocking software.

Until the issues with the IP blocking software can be resolved, WN has added blocking based on country-of-origin for the access.

I am glad to hear that using a VPN can restore access for WN members in countries that are now being blocked.

I would encourage you to post your current location (the country) in this thread. That may allow the block for that country to be removed early in the next phase of clean-up.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thanks for the explanation, Ivan.

Any explanation as to the motivation?
  Re: RE: VPN needed to access WN? by Phil Thien (Thanks for the expla...)
(04-30-2021, 10:16 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Thanks for the explanation, Ivan.

Any explanation as to the motivation?

Based on some of the reports about the 2 European groups, my speculation is that WN came to their attention when WN came off of the email blacklist briefly some months back. There were some reports of attempts to hack websites and turn them into email servers and address harvesters for the bad guys.

There has been a significant increase in spammers from all over the world opening accounts here: bunches of them that appear to be from Australia, Vietnam, and Thailand among other countries.

Apparently, there is a type of spammer that profits from directing traffic to websites. In other cases, the websites being shown are to sucker people in to try to put malware on their computers.

Again, this is just my speculation based on what I have seen and what I have read on the sites for reporting bad guys.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
We've had a bunch of problems with spammers. We've tried a few solutions, but they are still posting here quite frequently. Our most recent attempt to get rid of them was to block a lot of countries that we do not expect legitimate WoodNet traffic from. If anyone is having issues with this and having to use a VPN, please post your country here, and I'll add it to the list of allowed countries.