automatic in-cabinet lighting
]I'm looking to install some DIY lighting in the cabinets of my camper. After doing some searching, I realized I don't have enough know-how, yet, to do it myself. I know there are some options but what I'm thinking is a 3 component system: battery holder, door switch, and LED light. What I'm finding is that most of the door switches are meant for 120v AC use in home closets and the like. I'm looking to just run the lights off of a couple of AAA batteries in a holder so I don't need to hack into my TT wires at all. Will a switch rated for home use work with the 1.5V that a pair of AAA put out. I really just need some help making sure I get components that work together.

A big motivation for this particular setup is to use the same door switch to light multiple shelves inside the same cupboard. That is to say, I can wire two different LED strips from the same switch so the upper and lower shelves both have light. I have already considered them and options such as touch lights and motion-activated lights are not what I'm looking for. 

I'm looking at some switches like these but there are also some magnetic ones that look OK.

[attachment=35134

Attached Files Image(s)

How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Those switches just complete a circuit, they will work with DC...just run  the + wire through the  switch to your lamps.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-01-2021, 10:26 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Those switches just complete a circuit, they will work with DC...just run  the + wire through the  switch to your lamps.

Easy enough! Thanks for the clarification.

Now that I have voltage requirements on my mind I realize that there are specific LED lights that will run off of AAA batteries. I've always wondered why pocket LED flashlights always have 3 AAA batteries. It always leaves one random battery in the pack of 4. Now I know that it's to get up to 4.5V which seems to be the minimum requirement for strip LEDs. I just want a strip of lights that I can cut to length and solder some wires to.

The internet is such an amazing tool until you can't quite put your finger on the right search term...
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/