Kitchen cabinets redo
(05-20-2021, 09:31 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I'm using MDF so not an issue.  On the runs or foreign material nits I've been shaving them off.  I have a little tool that holds a single edge razor if you contact the handle it lines up perfectly.

One of the issues I faced in my kitchen re do was one lot of MDF was a different thickness and the groove my bit cuts was too big one, perfect on the other.  I ended up caulking the gap, which I don't like. But they came out ok.

I was wondering how you handle this.  I thought about pin nailing from the back, hoping bridging seals the seam, at least then the caulking is only the back side.

Caulking is pretty much the standard approach commercial shops use and there's no shame in it.  Prime, sand, caulk, paint.  Just be neat about the caulk because any non uniformity or residue will telegraph through the paint.  A job done well has perfect looking joints where the panels meet the frame.  

John
(05-20-2021, 12:34 PM)jteneyck Wrote: A job done well has perfect looking joints where the panels meet the frame.  

John
Yeah......I'd give myself a "B" on that.

Big challenge for me - joint seams telegraph through even though they appear perfect under primer.

My hope is in a vertical plane, small defects might not be so obvious.
(05-27-2021, 10:48 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Yeah......I'd give myself a "B" on that.

Big challenge for me - joint seams telegraph through even though they appear perfect under primer.

My hope is in a vertical plane, small defects might not be so obvious.

One more comment.  If the dados are sloppy and you are using plywood or MDF panels I would glue in the panels with the panels tight to the front.  That will give you perfect fit on the front and confine the caulking to the backside where any less than perfect work will only show when the doors are open.  

John