Driving dust with crusher run
For you that have roads with crusher run, 1" stone down to dust, how much dust is created when you drive 20-25mph? I would think once it is compacted it there shouldn't be dust. Does that happen in reality?
There is always some dust, unless it rains. Also, if you have any kind of a steep hill, unless the road grader knows what he's doing you'll get washout in heavy rains.

(05-05-2021, 12:03 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: For you that have roads with crusher run, 1" stone down to dust, how much dust is created when you drive 20-25mph? I would think once it is compacted it there shouldn't be dust. Does that happen in reality?

When I park in the parking garage near the exit, my car gets covered with concrete dust churned up by the many cars driving by.

Yes

Upset
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
My driveway has had crusher run for 30 years.  I would suggest not driving 25 mph.  The rain will settle the dust down in between the larger pieces however when you drive over it again your tires will break (the crust) and expose the dust again.  That's just the nature of the beast.  I have about a mile of it and like it.  Purchased a grader/scraper tool to pull behind a tractor that levels the highs and fills in the lows behind a farm tractor.  The good thing about crusher run is that unlike 2 b or 3 bit never moves and is not pushed to the outside by your wheels.  With the grader/scraper tool you will most likely never have to purchase any more run, it uses what you have and redistributes it where needed.
Regards,
Bill B
This is a shared drive and some are already complaining about dust. It currently is hard pack dirt with some stone. I am sure the crusher would be less dust but if it does have dust they will keep complaining. 25mph is probably a little on the fast side but I wanted to make sure there was some buffer.
Had our 500 foot driveway re-done in March 2016.  It was a mud run to get up from the highway, particularly during the Spring thaw.  

Driveway guy suggested using asphalt millings (ground up asphalt from road work).  He cited several reasons:

- Cost.  Asphalt millings were $12/ton.  Crusher run was $40/ton.  Since I needed 90 tons, the savings were significant.

- Superior packing when compared to crusher run.  That surface out there is hard, and it doesn't shift/creep.  

- Better erosion resistance.

- Less dust.  Almost never see vehicles raise dust from it, even after dry spells.

Like anything, there are some downsides:

- After several winter seasons, the action of freeze cycles is driving some larger clumps of asphalt up through the surface.  Thus, it appears like rocks are on portions of the driveway.  Not a big deal, but it's there.  The clumps are 1-2 inches in size.

- It doesn't look as "neat and tidy" as a fresh layer of crusher run.

- I have found that the promised erosion resistance is a "real deal", but it done's mean that there's NO erosion.  After five years, the steepest portion of the driveway has some minor ruts.  Not a significant issue, yet, and we've had drought, so I'm not getting movement driven by heavy rains.  It took four years for the minor ruts to show up.

If you want me to take some pics to illustrate, I can.
I was just offered 145 tons of asphalt grindings for $1050.  I could really use them, but had to turn them down as we are already over budget on the barn.  They'll resurface other roads later in the summer so we'll try again.
(05-07-2021, 07:13 PM)JosephP Wrote: I was just offered 145 tons of asphalt grindings for $1050.  I could really use them, but had to turn them down as we are already over budget on the barn.  They'll resurface other roads later in the summer so we'll try again.

That's one thing about millings: they'll never run short.

Son-in-law is a civil engineer who specializes in highway projects.  They are required to have a certain amount of their materials bill contain recycled stuff like millings.  However, there's always more material removed than will be reused.