DW735 problems
I have a DW735 planer that has worked great for a number of years now. Lately it has been filling up with chips. I think they may be coming from where the shroud over the blades meets the blower. Nothing looks to be cracked or broken. I also run it with a 4" dust collector hose hooked up. The dust collector is not clogged and the blower blows. I took the blower housing apart and everything looks good. Any idea why chips may be backing up into the machine?
(05-05-2021, 05:05 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: I have a DW735 planer that has worked great for a number of years now. Lately it has been filling up with chips. I think they may be coming from where the shroud over the blades meets the blower. Nothing looks to be cracked or broken. I also run it with a 4" dust collector hose hooked up. The dust collector is not clogged and the blower blows. I took the blower housing apart and everything looks good. Any idea why chips may be backing up into the machine?

This YouTuber had the same problem.  In this video he's troubleshooting and repairing the problem.  Maybe your planer has the same issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjQsv2JaM70

Mike
I had a similar problem and waited too long to address the issue.  One of the "ears" on the end of the shroud was cracked.  I tried different ways, but in the end, I had to buy a new shroud.  By the time it came, I had chips clogging the gears and chain so badly, I spent half of a day cleaning out the corners.
Good luck.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I will have to give it one more try. I took apart the blower housing and didn't find any problems like he did. I haven't run it since then so I will have to see if reseating those screws fixes my problem also.
I am still searching for the problem. I have a bad feeling mine is coming from behind the blower fan possibly where the fan housing meets the motor.
I have been slowly trying to fix this thing. The fan housing halves have a groove that is supposed to mate to the other side to help seal. I noticed on mine the edge nearest the machine housing that groove disappears. This is around the 2 lower clips that hold the fan housing together. I took some aluminum tape and tried my best to stick it along the joint there. It has significantly reduced the dust inside the machine but to totally. It is probably the best I can do unless I want to try to remove the outer housing of the machine.
I didn't watch the YouTube above, but I had a problem with a ton of chips that ended up inside that just kept getting worse. The housing for the blower fan had actually worn thin to the point where it was letting chips out by the outlet into the case. There were no cracks or chips, but when I took the two halves out and put them together by themselves, you could see the gap that had worn through. I just replaced those parts and all is well again for mine.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
How did you get the fan off so you could remove the inner half of the housing?
"How did you get the fan off so you could remove the inner half of the housing?"

3/8 impact wrench. It didn't take much, a cordless driver with an impact socket could probably do it.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I will have to try the impact. I tried using a socket but couldn't hold the shaft from turning.