Metal detector
I just got a new SawStop and now I’m nervous about metal in my lumber. What detectors are you using and why that model?  I want a good one so I’m willing to spend a little extra. 

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
(05-05-2021, 07:17 PM)AztecKing Wrote: I just got a new SawStop and now I’m nervous about metal in my lumber. What detectors are you using and why that model?  I want a good one so I’m willing to spend a little extra. 

Jeff

I use a HF wand detector for logs on my sawmill.  It detects metal up to about 1 - 1-1/4" deep and it works well.  For deeper objects you would need a more powerful detector, but for stock up to 8/4 the HF one should work.  

John
I use Teknetics Omega 8500 since 2019 for coil and some metal items. This is waterproof and headphone jack size of 1/4 inch, the operating frequency is 7.8 kHz, and 5 years warranty.
Check this: Cabinet Table Saw
Jeff, you may be overreacting just slightly. If the metal is embedded it won't (or shouldn't) set off the brake. It would need to touch the table, or you, or something like that. Think back through all the wood you've cut int the past...how often did you find metal in there somewhere? I'm not poo-pooing the metal detector, it's a good idea, but nothing to be nervous over.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-06-2021, 05:24 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Jeff, you may be overreacting just slightly. If the metal is embedded it won't (or shouldn't) set off the brake. It would need to touch the table, or you, or something like that. Think back through all the wood you've cut int the past...how often did you find metal in there somewhere? I'm not poo-pooing the metal detector, it's a good idea, but nothing to be nervous over.

You’re right. I didn’t think about it that way. I appreciate the perspective. 

Jeff
Why is it a bigger deal now that you have a SawStop? Don't want to have to pay for the cartridge if it fires?

If metal gets into your saw blade, it's toast. If your safety cartridge gets into your saw blade, it's toast. It's toast either way.

Get to work and pay attention where you put your fingers. Keep the weenies away from your new table saw.
(05-07-2021, 12:19 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: Why is it a bigger deal now that you have a SawStop?  Don't want to have to pay for the cartridge if it fires?

If metal gets into your saw blade, it's toast.  If your safety cartridge gets into your saw blade, it's toast.  It's toast either way.  

Get to work and pay attention where you put your fingers. Keep the weenies away from your new table saw.

I guess it just makes me more sensitive to the fact that I will toast an $80 cartridge.  I figured before if I missed a nail or something that it could maybe damage the carbide on a blade but it was easily repairable.
I will be the contrary view.  I bought a metal detector, it was a Lumber Wizard,  looks like the current version, but was probably a version 1.  Not very expensive, and I try to remember to use it anytime I buy live edge wood, or woods from craigslist, etc,  I don't normally use it on wood bought from a lumber yard, but that is just me.   Hit a piece of metal with a Laguna Resaw King and you will regret it.  Likewise, hit metal on a planer or jointer can ruin your day, even with just a hand plane, repairing the nicked blade is one thing, but it will also leave a scar on the bottom of the plane.  As for the SS, I assumed that it would trip if it hit metal, and while it does make sense that if the metal is entirely in the wood, and not in contact with the surface of the table saw, I am not that interested in trying it out.  BTW,  the lumber wizard is still going strong - though a little touchy to dial in the sensitivity.  A friend wanted to make some pieces from pallet wood, and it did a good job finding nails that were very hard to see, and it even seemed to get trigged by rust from a few nail holes.   We just cut around those to be safe.
(05-12-2021, 07:52 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: I will be the contrary view.  I bought a metal detector, it was a Lumber Wizard,  looks like the current version, but was probably a version 1.  Not very expensive, and I try to remember to use it anytime I buy live edge wood, or woods from craigslist, etc,  I don't normally use it on wood bought from a lumber yard, but that is just me.   Hit a piece of metal with a Laguna Resaw King and you will regret it.  Likewise, hit metal on a planer or jointer can ruin your day, even with just a hand plane, repairing the nicked blade is one thing, but it will also leave a scar on the bottom of the plane.  As for the SS, I assumed that it would trip if it hit metal, and while it does make sense that if the metal is entirely in the wood, and not in contact with the surface of the table saw, I am not that interested in trying it out.  BTW,  the lumber wizard is still going strong - though a little touchy to dial in the sensitivity.  A friend wanted to make some pieces from pallet wood, and it did a good job finding nails that were very hard to see, and it even seemed to get trigged by rust from a few nail holes.   We just cut around those to be safe.

similar vintage Lumber Wizard here.  I don't use it very often, but it is surprisingly sensitive as long as you keep within the coil area (not the whole length of the unit)

Most recently I needed to find a granite marker under the turf in my yard.  The lumber wizard is sensitive enough to pick up the granite marker based on whatever bits of rust and metal are still embedded in it from when it was cut and drilled.
Cool

It's also sensitive enough to pick up any metal underneath the wood you are scanning, including the phone that's in your cargo pants pocket when you stand just so... 
Crazy
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
My lumber wizard worked good but did not hold up very good and did not last long and I hardly ever used it?
Sad