Feasibility of using a 10 1/4 Rabbet Plane in place of my #5 Jack Plane?
I recently got a 10 1/4 LN Carriage Plane (Rabbet).  I already own a number 5 Jack, but am now wondering if I need both?  Could I just get some extra irons for the 10 1/4 and use it in place of the standard #5 plane?

Has anyone done this?
If you are extremely pressed for space or need to carry your tools around it might make some sense to swap irons like this. But I find it much more convenient to pick up a different plane for a different task.
A #5 plane can also be used for shooting.

A #5 won't scratch up the surface that you are working on if you set the plane down on its edge instead of exactly flat on its base or side.

#5 blades have less of an issue with sharpening. The 10-1/4 gets narrower as you sharpen it until you have to replace it.

As already said above, unless you are extremely pinched for space, having both is  a good thing.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.