Flea market find
I was at a big flea market yesterday and came home with a couple treasures. The first being this wooden 1/2 inch Plow plane. The toe has an inlaid piece which I believe to be Ivory because of the apparent age of the plane. It reads German 25 grove plane. The thing that stood out to me on this is I thought grove was spelled groove. Why did this stand out? It is because I can't spell And I caught it. There is also a stamped or wood burned section that says on the top Ottokarf rivan. There is either a space in there or a letter that is no longer visible at least to my eyes anyway. On the bottom is the word Prag. Everything is in really good working order, as can be seen in the pictures. I wrote all of this in case someone could tell me more about it.

The second find was a Lion trimmer I am excited to get it because I also have a Chinese knock of that works well but it isn't the real McCoy. I looked to see if it could be taken apart for shipping so maybe in the future the Chinese one will be posted for sale. I haven't started to clean it up but my mind is racing, thinking about how to sharpen it. Actually sharpening is not the problem, it is presenting the blade to the grinding wheel on the surface grinder at a compound angle, that will involve a little trial and error.

Tom
Very nice on both
I have a Lion trimmer and some times it’s the only tool for the job
To shave off that whisker thin piece for fine tuning
I may have to use mine more as it mostly collects dust but looks cool doing it
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I’ve sharpened the blades on my Lion, and pretty easy to do. The blades are thick with a significant bevel. I used “scary sharp” methods, using silicon carbide paper, on my table saw table. Just be careful not to knick your finger!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(05-09-2021, 03:58 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I was at a big flea market yesterday and came home with a couple treasures. The first being this wooden 1/2 inch Plow plane. The toe has an inlaid piece which I believe to be Ivory because of the apparent age of the plane. It reads German 25 grove plane. The thing that stood out to me on this is I thought grove was spelled groove. Why did this stand out? It is because I can't spell And I caught it. There is also a stamped or wood burned section that says on the top Ottokarf rivan. There is either a space in there or a letter that is no longer visible at least to my eyes anyway. On the bottom is the word Prag. Everything is in really good working order, as can be seen in the pictures. I wrote all of this in case someone could tell me more about it.

Tom - On the plane. 
I'd suggest  Prag - Prague, Czk.  The wedge shape is the same as on the few moulding planes I inherited from my Czech Great-grandfather who was a master carver and cabinetmaker and who emigrated from Vienna in the 1880s.  He brought his tools here and became an organ builder in Ohio before moving on to Portland (OR).  I'm bringing home his tool chest soon from my Dad's estate and will return it to active use once more.
German Rivan = English rivan, an alternate spelling being riven, as we know meaning split apart.
Just a couple thoughts,
Tom