Switch for emergency light?
Another electrical question.  2 reminders:
*It is for a barn
*No permit/inspection as there is no building code for agricultural buildings (unzoned township).
---but I do want it done right.

So I have 4 rows of high bay lights.  They are on 2 way switches...with a bank of 4 about 10' from the "mandoor" - right next to one of the garage doors.  The others are spread by the other garage doors.

Going in and out, I realize it would be nice to have a small light at the door to turn on as soon as I open the door.  We'll...as it turns out, I already have a light planned there: and emergency light (the kind that comes on when power goes off).

So I get to thinking....if input a switch on that light that stays closed most of the time, but I open it when I need to see while stepping through the door, it will think the power went off and light up.  I then get over to the other switches and turn one of those on, then close that one again so it goes back to standby.  Make sense?  Is that wrong?  I know... probably not to code...but it would still work in an emergency unless I left it on too long to kill the battery.  So I don't think it is unsafe.

I do know what you are thinking, so I'll answer that:  I'm not moving any of the other 4 switches over because it is not unlikely that at some point, a wall will divide the 2 areas making a separate "shop" and "office" so the high bays will light the shop.
Run another circuit, put 2 motion sensor activated lights at that man door, one inside, one outside.  Done.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(05-10-2021, 12:06 AM)blackhat Wrote: Run another circuit, put 2 motion sensor activated lights at that man door, one inside, one outside.  Done.

Do you have a outlet the emergency light is plugged into ? If so plug the motion light into that outlet also.   Roly
(05-10-2021, 07:09 AM)Roly Wrote: Do you have a outlet the emergency light is plugged into ? If so plug the motion light into that outlet also.   Roly

No...I was just going to wire the emergency light direct.  Not done yet.

I don't love the idea of a motion light inside.

There will be an always on light outside (dims to 25% brightness - full bright with motion detector) so I could just tap into that feed.  I was just thinking it seems a little silly to put 2 lights right next to each other.  (one emergency, one regular)
Thinking about this more...I'd be more inclined to put in a photocell light rather than motion detection.  I could get a 3-4 watt light (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lithonia-Lighti...1000704690) that will just be on all the time inside as well and will go off when the lights are on.

But I'd still probably rather switch the emergency light.  Is that a bad idea?  I appreciate the alternative ideas...but I'd like to hear if the switch is a bad idea.  I won't be insulted!
First, you're going to cycle that light many times more often than its designed for. Will that mean 1 year life instead of 10?  I don't know but it will die sooner than normal.  Second, I'm trying to get my head around, turn on light switch 1, walk to light switches 2,3,4, and turn on, then back to 1 to turn off.  Reverse above on leaving?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

If you're just looking for enough light to safely find the light switches, just plug in one or two motion sensor night lights. The ones I have in the hallways and bathrooms at my house have worked for 10 years now. If you want more light, find an outdoor fixture that has all the features you'll need and hard wire it. With just a little creativity, you can also use it as an alarm. (Basically a switch to turn off a strobe light/siren).
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"