asphalt milling maintenance
This is an addition to the ongoing threads I have about resurfacing a private drive I live on. I am wanting to use asphalt millings to resurface the drive. It has been dirt and stone for the past 15 years but now needs something more. I put millings on my driveway and smoothed them out with my tractor and rented a small roller. I mostly use a snow blower and it is just a driveway. It has held up well for about 10 years now and I have no need to do anything else to it. The private drive is going to get more traffic and will be plowed in the winter. I am needing to sell this proposal to the other people that use the drive. They want to pave but that will make it narrower and required routine sealing. I have not heard of anyone doing "maintenance" to millings? Is that just because if you used millings you were not that concerned about looks? Why doesn't it crack and break up live asphalt pavement? Also what do you do when it starts to show wear and tear and needs resurfacing? 

I am needing a contractor to deliver, spread, and roll the millings. Are paving contractors the best source for that or are there others I should look for? We need it about 15'-16' wide which is between the pavers machine of 13' or 17+'. I am thinking someone with a dozer to push it around then roll.

I have also heard of what might be called 'raw' millings that can have large pieces in it. That is what I have on my driveway and it doesn't lay that smooth. I have also heard of millings that have been remilled so it is a finer material. I rented a small 2 ton roller when I put my drive in and it had a hard time compacting the larger pieces. I am assuming a contractor putting in a drive about 600' long and 16' wide would use something bigger than a 2 ton roller.
Call the big paving contractors.  See who is resurfacing roads in the area and start there.  I did that and was offered 7 loads (145 tons) for $150 per load...said they'd be "good millings".  Or call the city.  They said they'd get them to me for $30 per load delivery fee when they have them.  I've opted to wait for that...  I'll call a couple of others - I'm thinking my best bet is that I am closer than another place to dump them and if they can get them to me without driving through town then that is worth more than me paying for the grindings.
(05-10-2021, 12:48 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: This is an addition to the ongoing threads I have about resurfacing a private drive I live on. I am wanting to use asphalt millings to resurface the drive. It has been dirt and stone for the past 15 years but now needs something more. I put millings on my driveway and smoothed them out with my tractor and rented a small roller. I mostly use a snow blower and it is just a driveway. It has held up well for about 10 years now and I have no need to do anything else to it. The private drive is going to get more traffic and will be plowed in the winter. I am needing to sell this proposal to the other people that use the drive. They want to pave but that will make it narrower and required routine sealing. I have not heard of anyone doing "maintenance" to millings? Is that just because if you used millings you were not that concerned about looks? Why doesn't it crack and break up live asphalt pavement? Also what do you do when it starts to show wear and tear and needs resurfacing? 

I am needing a contractor to deliver, spread, and roll the millings. Are paving contractors the best source for that or are there others I should look for? We need it about 15'-16' wide which is between the pavers machine of 13' or 17+'. I am thinking someone with a dozer to push it around then roll.

I have also heard of what might be called 'raw' millings that can have large pieces in it. That is what I have on my driveway and it doesn't lay that smooth. I have also heard of millings that have been remilled so it is a finer material. I rented a small 2 ton roller when I put my drive in and it had a hard time compacting the larger pieces. I am assuming a contractor putting in a drive about 600' long and 16' wide would use something bigger than a 2 ton roller.

I've heard spraying a layer of diesel down when you roll will help those millings smooth out and set up.  

I personally don't think I could ever pave on my own dime.  It's either something I can regrade with a tractor or it's concrete.
On another note, according to a Penn State professor of civil engineering who had been a consultant to the Pennsylvania Transportation Department, sealing asphalt is a waste of time and money. “The only benefit is a temporary improvement in appearance.”
(05-15-2021, 05:30 AM)Boalsman Wrote: On another note, according to a Penn State professor of civil engineering who had been a consultant to the Pennsylvania Transportation Department, sealing asphalt is a waste of time and money. “The only benefit is a temporary improvement in appearance.”

That's certainly my point of view, having had asphalt drives for a number of years.....it (sealing) doesn't do squat. Back to the millings, my county engineer offered to sell me some when I moved my mailbox back from the road, to create a turnout. He was very fond of using them from a maintenance/durability point of view.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'm not an engineer, but I kinda figured sealing is pointless... they'd seal roads if it helped.
Sealing asphalt is a waste of money and time.....
Especially sealing a driveway, how much traffic does a driveway see, compared to a highway?
(05-15-2021, 02:33 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Sealing asphalt is a waste of money and time.....
Especially sealing a driveway, how much traffic does a driveway see, compared to a highway?

Sealing the cracks keeps the water out … freeze - thaw cycle breaks up pavement ...
Difference between sealing cracks and the whole driveway
Which is what they try to talk some one into

2 different things....
While I was digging around for a contactor I came across some information on chipseal. I always thought chipseal was just a build up of tar and stone. It is actually a coating of tar over pavement to seal cracks. They then add stone as a wear and traction layer. In that case they are sealing the roadway.