asphalt milling maintenance
(05-20-2021, 01:21 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: While I was digging around for a contactor I came across some information on chipseal. I always thought chipseal was just a build up of tar and stone. It is actually a coating of tar over pavement to seal cracks. They then add stone as a wear and traction layer. In that case they are sealing the roadway.

True enough, but around me they only tar/chip to avoid repaving a little longer. While it seals I don't think that's the reason they do it. Beyond that, the tar they use a a very thick (relatively) coating of hot tar....instead of the watery sealer most of the sealers-guys use.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-15-2021, 10:45 AM)JosephP Wrote: I'm not an engineer, but I kinda figured sealing is pointless... they'd seal roads if it helped.
I don't know if it helps, but I have seen counties sealing roads.  The sealant they use is somewhat thicker than the residential stuff, but not much.
(05-22-2021, 06:37 PM)EricU Wrote: I don't know if it helps, but I have seen counties sealing roads.  The sealant they use is somewhat thicker than the residential stuff, but not much.

I've seen them doing cracks, but not the whole surface (except the chip-n-seal as they discussed above).
Just got somewhere between 12-15 loads (bigger trucks than those that dropped 20 tons of stone earlier) of grindings dropped off by the city...  Lots of stone to push around with a small skid steer loader!  But, I won't complain at the price!

(there were 2 other piles with 3-4 loads each where I'm putting lanes)