help with regrade and planting sod
I need to re-grade a smallish area of the lawn where I need to build up 10" and taper it down to zero, and then plant sod on it. 

Two part question:

1 - Do I need to use a plate compactor of some sort as I build up that 10"? 
2-  tips to ensure the sod takes hold and doesn't die? A certain kind of fertilizer? how loose should the top of the new soil be left?

Thanks!
(05-13-2021, 07:07 AM)mound Wrote: I need to re-grade a smallish area of the lawn where I need to build up 10" and taper it down to zero, and then plant sod on it. 

Two part question:

2-  tips to ensure the sod takes hold and doesn't die? A certain kind of fertilizer? how loose should the top of the new soil be left?

Thanks!

Not something as aggressive as a plate compactor that would be WAY too compacted, but you will certainly want to roll it in with something big and heavy IMHO (think lawn roller). As for keeping the sod alive - water, water, water. You could put some starter fertilizer down before you lay it and rake it into the top couple inches. Soil on top should be pretty firm but not rock hard, you want to encourage the roots to leave the nice cozy layer of soil that came with the sod and dig into yours. I would not fertilize on top for at least a season, again getting the roots into the top soil is key to sod thriving.
(05-13-2021, 09:03 AM)vernonator Wrote: Not something as aggressive as a plate compactor that would be WAY too compacted, but you will certainly want to roll it in with something big and heavy IMHO (think lawn roller). As for keeping the sod alive - water, water, water. You could put some starter fertilizer down before you lay it and rake it into the top couple inches. Soil on top should be pretty firm but not rock hard, you want to encourage the roots to leave the nice cozy layer of soil that came with the sod and dig into yours. I would not fertilize on top for at least a season, again getting the roots into the top soil is key to sod thriving.

Thanks! Is it important to roll the sod or just use hands to ensure it's in contact with the soil?
Build the soil up in layers. Maybe 2" - 3" each layer. Roll each layer before adding the next.

I've never had to ensure good contact when laying sod. Usually gravity and the weight of the sod is enough. Put fertilizer down before you lay the sod.

Then water it consistently. Keep it moist, not wet.
(05-13-2021, 11:57 AM)DieselDennis Wrote: Build the soil up in layers.  Maybe 2" - 3" each layer.  Roll each layer before adding the next.  

I've never had to ensure good contact when laying sod.  Usually gravity and the weight of the sod is enough.  Put fertilizer down before you lay the sod.

Then water it consistently.  Keep it moist, not wet.

I agree do it in layers and either have a bunch of people walk on it or use a a roller if you have one. Also starter fertalizer under the sod.
John T.
I would roll it down once you have it set if you have the roller (hopefully used to compact the regrade). It will certainly NOT hurt it and will help get that root growth down into your new substrate.
(05-13-2021, 07:07 AM)mound Wrote: I need to re-grade a smallish area of the lawn where I need to build up 10" and taper it down to zero, and then plant sod on it. 

Two part question:

Thanks!

Laid a lot of sod on road/ highway projects, some on perfectly prepped soil and some on some pretty crappy soil. With proper care, sod will grow on almost anything- at least for a year or so. That's where the soil prep matters, long term survival. As others have said, put down a good layer of starter fertilizer under the sod. Water sod regularly. For road projects we do every day for 1st week, every other day 2nd week, every 3rd day the third week and then once a month (only if-needed) until the end of growing season. We probably over-water and it doesn't seem to hurt to have too much water, IME.