Disassembling a SawStop
(05-17-2021, 03:50 PM)stav Wrote: Can you get some vice grips on those bolts?

They are screws with the 5mm hex drive.  Flush to the rail.  No grinding, no grabbing with vise grips.  I suppose I could try to drill them out, but like I said... I don't see they're going to hurt anything during the move, and the next time somebody takes it apart I'll be dead and won't care anymore. 
Sarcasm

I just found it very odd that they'd be stuck that bad after a year.

Thanks for all the responses. 
Yes
First - try the left hand drill bit.  If that doesn't work then use an easy out.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(05-17-2021, 06:20 PM)John Mihich Wrote: First - try the left hand drill bit.  If that doesn't work then use an easy out.

Well I just couldn't give up... so I first tried a 'As seen on TV' (yeah, I know!)  extractor thingy from HomDepot.  That thing wouldn't touch the material of the screw.  At all.  First time in a long time I was so pissed about a purchase that I took it back immediately.

Then I got a Ryobi extractor kit.  Drilled the appropriate hole, and the extractor screwed right in as deigned.... then snapped off in the hole as soon as I tried to turn it.   
Upset   And I could NOT drill THAT out.  So now I officially quit.  It is what it is.  The rails make it easier to steer anyway.  
Laugh
(05-22-2021, 12:30 PM)KC Wrote: Well I just couldn't give up... so I first tried a 'As seen on TV' (yeah, I know!)  extractor thingy from HomDepot.  That thing wouldn't touch the material of the screw.  At all.  First time in a long time I was so pissed about a purchase that I took it back immediately.

Then I got a Ryobi extractor kit.  Drilled the appropriate hole, and the extractor screwed right in as deigned.... then snapped off in the hole as soon as I tried to turn it.   
Upset   And I could NOT drill THAT out.  So now I officially quit.  It is what it is.  The rails make it easier to steer anyway.  
Laugh

If you still want to remove it,  check your local craigslist or offer up to see if anyone is offering mobile welding services.  Sometimes, they can weld some material on the bolt, then weld a nut onto that to get it out.    It starts around 3:30 in this clip  welding
(05-23-2021, 10:58 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: If you still want to remove it,  check your local craigslist or offer up to see if anyone is offering mobile welding services.  Sometimes, they can weld some material on the bolt, then weld a nut onto that to get it out.    It starts around 3:30 in this clip  welding

Would've never thought of that. I may look up the neighbor with an auto shop when we get moved.  
Yes
barryvabeach: thanks for that link! passed it onto a few friends who might find it interesting and useable! Watching videos like make me wish I could run a welder, but I just never acquired the knack for doing it. Againan , thanks!
I have a welder, but am a complete hack at it.  One of the nice things about welding v woodworking, is that typically , when we glue 2 wood boards together, we leave them in clamps for a while, then leave them alone while the glue hardens.  In welding,  a few seconds after you stop pulling the trigger, the two pieces are stuck together for good.
Another possibility is EDM. Assuming you can fine someone with the right equipment
who will do a small job like that.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
If you heat the bolts up with a torch and then spray cold water on them they will usually brake loose. If the heat causes problems with the finish then I would just drill the heads off. Usually the remaining part of the screw will just come out. Last choice is just leave it on and move it as is, as you suggested. 

Tom