New 23 guage micro pinner
For molding trim, I drive fine brads into the glue side of the molding and then clip the nail to about 1/8" proud of the surface.  I then apply glue and press it into the mating surface.  The small bit of brad keeps the molding from sliding around.  At that point, I either use masking tape of clamps to hold it in place.

Pretty much that was where I was using the 23 gage nailer.  It is slower, but even tidier than the tiny pins.  That pretty much sums up my 23 pin requirements.

I do have a handheld brad pusher.  I have some very fine brads left over from my picture framing days.  They are hard to find now.  They are smaller than 18 gage, but not as small as the 23 gage--probably about 20 gage.  Easiy enough to press in with a brad pusher.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have a Bostich that goes to 1 3/16". I have a Senco that goes to 2". I use the Senco sparingly but it has had it's usefulness. The Bostich is not that great.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I bought a "reconditioned" Hitachi years ago when Big Sky was Reconditioned sales (less than $30) to replace an old Atro when the driver broke on a corrugated fastener. Never had an issue with it.

When pinning hardwood you have to orientate the gun so the points of the pin work as a chisel vs. a wedge to help them shoot straight.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I bought cheap - an HF years ago.  I dropped it on the tip and of course it was dead.  Replaced it about 10 years ago - still going.  I don't need the 1" feature so it's fine.  If this one dies I will by another.  I seem to have good luck with their tools.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I have a grex that does 1 3/8 I think.  It shoots both headed and headless pins.  The headed pins are hard to find, and I'm not sure they really hold any better.

The headless pins are barely noticeable, so these days I just shoot a few extra.

You really do need to be thoughtful about where you put long 23 gauge pins, they have there place, but they are also prone to blowing out the side of your work if you give them a chance to do so.  I mostly use them on trim work through drywall, where the length helps find real wood, and it doesn't matter if they go in straight.

The grex has been very good to me, but if I had to do it again, I don't think I'd pay extra just to get the headed pins.  the little air blaster feature is really nice while doing trim molding though.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
I have the HF and experienced the fail to feed others have reported with several brands. Same pinner with Hitachi pins, works fine. Not the pinner it was the pins themselves I guess.
I have a Grex and it’s a fantastic air-driven pin nailer. But with the release of the Milwaukee cordless I would choose that over my Grex for less complicated usage.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I have a Bostich (great!) and a Metabo (less than great), but a bit of warning about long pins: 23 ga. is very thin and if you are pinning very close to an edge, I have had them go astray, coming out of the wood and/or curling back and out at the surface.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com