LN vs Veritas side mounted honing guide
Anyone have experience with the new Veritas side mounted honing guide?  Looking to get a new jig and right it’s between the LN and LV versions.
I have both.

You have to remember that these guides are a very different price point. The LN is part of a system, while the Veritas is not (their Mk ll does that). With the accessories, which take it well beyond the Veritas in cost, the LN can do many angles. Also note that these are directed towards LN tools.

In the most basic format, they do the same job, however the LN (with continuous side walls) will be better for shorter blades. Side mounting guides are not indicated for blades which taper at the sides (out of parallel).

Both lock the blade with finger pressure, but the Veritas does this better - no need to add extra tightness with a screwdriver, as I do with the LN.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I have the new LV, and a couple Eclipse style I've used up to this point. If you are in the same boat, and lack ambition to build your own for smaller sizes and shorties, the LV side mount will be more refined. Or, if like me, any size under a half-inch is impossible to hone freehand, the LV will help. 

It's convenient, but I got it for shop-aholic reasons. Mostly. Yah, that's why.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.