3 - Way Switch Question - Picture
From what i can see that box contains only 3 conductors (and a ground). Two of them are travelers and the other is either constant hot or the switched hot for the load. The load also needs a neutral so the feed from the panel has to go to either the other switch box or to the first ceiling light, in which case typically means both switch legs originate there too. The problem may be the dimmer. Dimming switches for LED bulbs can be damaged by incorrect wiring. No sparks or magic smoke; they just don't work when powered up, and still won't work when the wiring is corrected. That lesson gets expensive fast! Whenever I wire for 3-way switches I start by adding red tape to either the black (if I'm carrying the neutral) or white (when the common is line or load) to indicate travelers. Some of the new LED dimmers have extraordinarily complex directions, especially those with motion sensors for both occupancy and vacancy functions.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(05-20-2021, 11:48 AM)EricU Wrote: With a 3 way switch, you don't know which switch is getting the power and which switch is sending the  power to the light.  It would help if you posted a picture of the dimmer.  It must also have an on/off function. Turning it off should reverse which switch position works on the replacement switch.

I don't know why they taped the red, doesn't red always mean hot?

All three of the wires going to a 3 way switch could be hot, so they should be marked accordingly in my view.

Here is a picture of the dimmer.

You know... come to think of it, the dimmer has been gimpy lately too. Sometimes the power did not come on when I turned the switch on the dimmer. This was before I replaced the switch on the other outlet. Maybe I just need a new dimmer\switch. Its worth a shot. The dimmer was done when we renovated the house so it is 10 or 11 years old.

The left switch is part of the 3 way system. The right switch controls a different light.

I took another look at the switch (not the switch\dimmer) and I looked up what black tape means when placed on white wires and it simply means the white wire is a travelers. My contractor also put black tape on the red wire so both the red and white must be travelers. As I said, I think the switch\dimmer (pictured above) is the problem.

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-22-2021, 02:01 PM)bpatters69 Wrote: Here is a picture of the dimmer.

You know... come to think of it, the dimmer has been gimpy lately too. Sometimes the power did not come on when I turned the switch on the dimmer. This was before I replaced the switch on the other outlet. Maybe I just need a new dimmer\switch. Its worth a shot. The dimmer was done when we renovated the house so it is 10 or 11 years old.

The left switch is part of the 3 way system. The right switch controls a different light.

Get yourself a meter to see what is going on,  or keep replacing parts.  Roly
Ok, I will ask
Why not call an electrician?
Better than an eletrical fire not covered by insurance as it was DIY......
Get or borrow a meter. 

Watch the video linked above or follow Roly's advice to figure out which wire is hot. It's easy after that.
(05-22-2021, 02:44 PM)joe1086 Wrote: Get or borrow a meter. 

Watch the video linked above or follow Roly's advice to figure out which wire is hot. It's easy after that.

I am not sure, but I think Eric was hoping to see which wires were on which terminals inside the switch box.  
And please, turn all those screws vertical. 
Wink
(05-22-2021, 09:57 PM)srv52761 Wrote: I am not sure, but I think Eric was hoping to see which wires were on which terminals inside the switch box.  
And please, turn all those screws vertical. 
Wink

Funny you mention turning all the screws vertical.  I do that and find inspectors seem to be more comfortable signing off when 
they see it.  My nephew is an electrician and taught me quite a bit more than just what it takes to pass an inspection.  I never had a problem passing inspections but it seems easier now
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I really don't want to sidetrack the OP's thread, but this is a learning opportunity for me (or maybe it's just a stupid question), but turning the screws vertical? What's the importance of that?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-27-2021, 05:39 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I really don't want to sidetrack the OP's thread, but this is a learning opportunity for me (or maybe it's just a stupid question), but turning the screws vertical? What's the importance of that?

It's purely cosmetic.  If the cover plate screws are all oriented vertically or all oriented horizontally, it shows the electrician took pride in their work.

I have heard it called "clocking" the screws.  

Mike
I do it that way because DW wants it done that way.  'Nuff said.  
Crazy
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"