nEED WOOD RECOMMENDATION
I am going to build several benches using 2x4xlumber for my dock on the Inland Waterway.  Should I go with PT lumber for above ground use or is there another chaice?  Any input appreciated.  Thux.
(05-18-2021, 02:23 PM)weelis Wrote: I am going to build several benches using 2x4xlumber for my dock on the Inland Waterway.  Should I go with PT lumber for above ground use or is there another chaice?  Any input appreciated.  Thux.

I'd go with composite, Timbertech is an excellent product.  I re-did my deck 15 years ago and it still looks as good as it did when I installed it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(05-18-2021, 02:23 PM)weelis Wrote: I am going to build several benches using 2x4xlumber for my dock on the Inland Waterway.  Should I go with PT lumber for above ground use or is there another chaice?  Any input appreciated.  Thux.

PT lumber is out and out crap.Go with previous reply.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Redwood or cedar weather well but will require maintenance. Teak, but quite expensive. I would stay away from pressure treated. Composite will last and last, comes in wood grain and many shades.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
You can get Cumaru, IPE, Tigerwood, Massaranduba and other Brazilian hardwoods up in Jax.
The cumaru is gorgeous and not terribly expensive.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I have agree with using composite, our deck is composite
One and done
We had a floating dock at the end of a 75 foot pier on the lake. The dock and pier were decked with 8/4 Western red cedar. It weathered to a silver gray color and lasted for many years with virtually no maintenance.
I would expect cypress to be available in your area for a reasonable price.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
The best price I’ve found for cypress is about 12 miles west of Melbourne at Kempfer Sawmill. Next is Bushnell Sawmill.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
If there is good drainage (no place for water to accumulate) then you can use Douglas Fir. 

The deck on my house was build in 1953 when the house was built and it was made from Douglas fir.  I replaced it in 2003.  The only bad rot was where they sistered up the 2" x 8" understructure and the water pooled between the 2" x 8"s. 

So it lasted 50 years.  It was painted, but pretty good results anyhow. 

My pressure-treated replacement does not look like it will come anywhere near to 50 years. 

Plus, I like the smell of Douglas fir when I saw it.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.