Inspection person's
I never heard of an "Occupancy Inspector". But an occupancy permit is required for a new home or if permits were pulled for modification in a home. The Occupant permit is granted when the final inspection is passed. A lot of jurisdictions are now farming out county construction inspections to private subcontractors licensed in that particular aspect... Electric, Pluming, etc.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I would really like to know what authority this inspector has.  It sounds like a buyer's or lender's home inspection.

I also want to know what a stop light is in the garage.
Maybe this is an FHA inspection if the buyer is using an FHA loan. If so, the changes need to be made in order fot the lender to finance it. His RE agent should have explained it to him prior to agreeing to sell to an FHA buyer.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(05-24-2021, 12:21 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Maybe this is an FHA inspection if the buyer is using an FHA loan. If so, the changes need to be made in order fot the lender to finance it. His RE agent should have explained it to him prior to agreeing to sell to an FHA buyer.

Some cities and counties have what is called a occupancy permit.   This for the minimum standards for safety such as the gfci protection , smoke alarms and co detectors.    This does not prevent the sale of the property but stops occupancy until corrected.  Some cities include exterior appearance such as torn screens peeling paint in there rules.
 It seems like all the local requirements would be accessible to read. 
 Depending on location they also require the permit when a tenant has changed for rental units and always on sale of property.   Roly
(05-24-2021, 01:03 PM)Roly Wrote: Some cities and counties have what is called a occupancy permit.   This for the minimum standards for safety such as the gfci protection , smoke alarms and co detectors.    This does not prevent the sale of the property but stops occupancy until corrected.  Some cities include exterior appearance such as torn screens peeling paint in there rules.
 It seems like all the local requirements would be accessible to read. 
 Depending on location they also require the permit when a tenant has changed for rental units and always on sale of property.   Roly

Again I ask :

what jurisdictions have this ?   I’ve never heard of such a bizarre thing.  ESPECIALLY when it comes to rentals.  How the he11 would a jurisdiction even know when an individual unit turned over?  

This sounds more like interweb conjecture than reality.
(05-24-2021, 09:12 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Again I ask :

what jurisdictions have this ?   I’ve never heard of such a bizarre thing.  ESPECIALLY when it comes to rentals.  How the he11 would a jurisdiction even know when an individual unit turned over?  

And what jurisdiction has time to inspect house at sale?  They really need to issue an occupancy certificate at every real estate transaction???  And that requires older homes to be brought out of grandfather status to current codes?  Really?

I've said it before:  I live a a city that doesn't inspect anything except hookup to the sewer and water heaters (even those don't happen most of the time on DIY replacements).  There isn't a disproportionate number of house fires, structural failures, or electrocutions.  Things like this make be even happier I built the barn as an agricultural building in an unzoned township.  It is good to be free.

By no means am I suggesting that inspectors are unnecessary...I'm more of a "buyer beware" kinda guy.  I'll hire an inspector if I am buying a house so I know what i am getting and make decisions based on that.  If that is what is happening here and the buyer wants YOU to pay for something beyond what is required by code, I'd walk away.  No different than wanting you to change the color of the carpet or the kinds of light bulbs.

There are Rental inspections in some areas here. I don't do them and won't.  Baltimore county has one where the inspector simply takes a picture of the house, front and back with time stamps on the photos. No idea what it's supposed to accomplish. Montgomery has a much more intensive one... GFCI, Headroom in doorways and stairwells, window egress in bedrooms, smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors, stair and deck rails etc. Can't get a permit to rent without it.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

This is in the area a little south of St. Louis, I know it applies to house rental in Arnold, Mo. but I don't know about apartments. In a small town if you post a house for rent they will know.
 The house does not have to be brought up to current codes but there are minimum standards.
 The same when my other daughter bought a house about 30 miles north.   The city knew the house was for sale and required the occupancy permit, the local city had their inspector do the inspection other than electrical which was done by the county.  Roly
(05-21-2021, 08:26 AM)Scouter Wrote: A friend down the street sold his house, but before the sale can go through the "occupancy inspector" (apparently different than the building inspector) is requiring him to put GFI's all over the place. Every outlet in the kitchen, bath, and laundry room. Not one per line, every single outlet. Anyone else ever run into this?

Your friend should find out what authority this Occupany Inspector has before getting the denizens here all wound up with conjecture :-)

“Requiring him” to do something would require governmental or contractual authority. Otherwise it’s a request.

Buyers request lots of things ranging from reasonable to crazy.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.