Inspection person's
A friend down the street sold his house, but before the sale can go through the "occupancy inspector" (apparently different than the building inspector) is requiring him to put GFI's all over the place. Every outlet in the kitchen, bath, and laundry room. Not one per line, every single outlet. Anyone else ever run into this?
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(05-21-2021, 08:26 AM)Scouter Wrote: A friend down the street sold his house, but before the sale can go through the "occupancy inspector" (apparently different than the building inspector) is requiring him to put GFI's all over the place. Every outlet in the kitchen, bath, and laundry room. Not one per line, every single outlet. Anyone else ever run into this?

No. That sounds stupid.  Why not put in GFCI breakers.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(05-21-2021, 09:26 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: No. That sounds stupid.  Why not put in GFCI breakers.

I asked him that, even asked about what I have - a whole-house breaker - but he said no, the "inspector" wants what he wants, no deviations.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Sounds so dumb it may be a miscommunication. Bit if not, the Occupancy Inspector reports to somebody. Find that person.
It's a power trip.. The same thing happened to me when I sold my first house.
Some "inspector" insisted every outlet had to be GFCI. I had already moved to another state, had to pay someone to do it.
Very annoying and a waste of money.
One per line is fine.
I think some inspectors just feel like they have to find something, in order to validate themselves.
When they can't find anything legit, they make up something.
(05-21-2021, 09:53 AM)paulWoodworker Wrote: It's a power trip.. The same thing happened to me when I sold my first house.
Some "inspector" insisted every outlet had to be GFCI. I had already moved to another state, had to pay someone to do it.
One per line is fine.
I think some inspectors just feel like they have to find something, in order to validate themselves.

That, and they know they have you by the balls. The house is, tentatively, sold but can't close until it passes inspection. No time to take him to court to force the issue because the buyers will just cancel and move on, next time he will find something else wrong just to get even, and the whole process continues.
Mike

Find the “inspector’s” boss. This plick needs fired.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

We had an OSHA inspector come to our facility.  He gave us a fine for a broken ladder (it was in the dumpster and a new ladder was in the building).  And he plugged in a tester in every outlet in our building and told us to replace the ones that did not show a satisfactory reading. 

He was doing the easy things--the things that did not require any thinking.

The ladder thing was crazy.  It was in the dumpster. He said that someone could have taken the ladder out of the dumpster and used it. We said, "Why would anyone take it out of the dumpster when there was a brand new ladder in the building?"

He said that someone could have taken it out, we should have cut it to pieces to be safe.  I said, "If we cut the 12-foot ladder to 3-foot lengths, you would have fined us for having four defective ladders in the dumpster."

Starting pay for these inspectors is about $30,000.00 (check with Indeed! and see).  So don't expect too much from them.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-21-2021, 09:53 AM)paulWoodworker Wrote: It's a power trip.. The same thing happened to me when I sold my first house.
One per line is fine.

I see what you did there...clever...
is this inspection required by the municipality, or is it a contingency from the buyer's lender?
Matt